• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robert's Steakhouse @ the Penthouse Executive Club

SobaAddict70

Although Mr. Lang's menu offers fancier dishes for a night on the town, like tuna tartare with quail egg and sourdough toasts, it would be crazy to miss the impeccable Caesar salad. When it comes to the litchi sorbet palate cleanser, however, you're on your own.

Haute Steak Cuisine (Alex Witchel) (from today's DIGEST. You may have to scroll down for the appropriate link.)

It's possible that in going to Robert's Steakhouse, that the food itself may not be on your mind once you get there. :shock: Or it could be, that the steaks might be all the distraction you need, if the "entertainment" isn't your cup of tea.

Chef Adam Perry Lang, formerly of Monzù, Chanterelle and Daniel, presents dry-aged steak and other delectables at Robert's Steakhouse, a restaurant that's part of the Penthouse Executive Club, located in midtown Manhattan.

Adventures in eating, anyone? :unsure::biggrin:

Soba

• 6 months later...

In today's New York Daily News, there is a "she said, he said" review of this establishment:

If you can't get into Jean-Georges or Nobu, are these establishments a real alternative? Is it wise to try the supper at a topless supper club?

To get to the bottom of it, two reporters posing as a couple went to the Penthouse Executive Club, which boasts Robert's Steakhouse.

She said:

With all the booties bouncing about, it's hard to pay attention to the food. But that's the idea. The pricey fare is just good enough to warrant eating in between lap dances.

[...]Depending on what you're hungry for, the food here will probably do the trick. But I left still confused about how Penthouse promoters decided to market the place toward women. The perfect date spot? For a different kind of girl.

As for me, I'll take dinner and a drink, hold the strippers.

He said:

The food, however, was surprisingly good.

[...]If looking at naked women while you eat doesn't pop your eyes out of your head, the prices will. Our tidy little romantic meal set us back just over 300 bucks. Even if we'd wanted a table dance, we would've had to wash dishes to afford one.

Read the rest here.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 year later...

eGullet's Mister Cutlets has been a vocal proponent of the steak at Robert's. Last night, I decided to find out for myself.

Steakhouse pricing is fairly consistent in the city. The steaks at Robert's are over-priced beyond reason. There are three options for the solo diner: filet ($51), t-bone ($51) or bone-in strip ($53). All of them are at least $10-12 more than most NYC steakhouses would charge. (The porterhouse and ribeye, both available only in portions for two, are similarly over-priced.)

The server recommended the strip. At this price, it had better be a strip steak to die for. It wasn't. Yes, it was a huge slab of meat, probably two inches thick before cooking. And yes, it was expertly broiled. But it was slightly tough and over-salted. Later on, one of the models told me that she thinks Del Frisco's is better — a remarkable admission.

Needless to say, Del Frisco's is more sensibly priced. It's also in a far more hospitable part of town — 6th & 49th, rather than Robert's perch in the hinterlands at 11th & 45th. Indeed, I could easily name a dozen steakhouses serving better steaks at better prices in better neighborhoods than Robert's.

The over-priced fare was not limited to the steaks. On the wine list, there were no bottles below $75. When I asked for wine by the glass, I was offered "cabernet or merlot"; no indication of vintage or winery. A glass of the unremarkable and unnamed cabernet was an outrageous $17.

Service was merely average. There was an excellent selection of warm bread rolls, but they were brought to the table long after I sat down. My check was brought to the table before I had finished ordering. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Edited by oakapple (log)

• 1 month later...
The steaks at Robert's are over-priced beyond reason....(t)he over-priced fare was not limited to the steaks. On the wine list, there were no bottles below $75. When I asked for wine by the glass, I was offered "cabernet or merlot"; no indication of vintage or winery. A glass of the unremarkable and unnamed cabernet was an outrageous $17.

I find it somewhat surprising that you were caught off-guard by over-priced ANYTHING at a strip club. While trying not to appear like a connoisseur of establishments such as these, strip clubs are nortorious for the $8 domestic beer, $10 imports, etc. They have a captive audience and they know it, and they know that the clientel generally show up intending to drop a fat wad of cash.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

The steaks at Robert's are over-priced beyond reason....(t)he over-priced fare was not limited to the steaks. On the wine list, there were no bottles below $75. When I asked for wine by the glass, I was offered "cabernet or merlot"; no indication of vintage or winery. A glass of the unremarkable and unnamed cabernet was an outrageous $17.

I find it somewhat surprising that you were caught off-guard by over-priced ANYTHING at a strip club. While trying not to appear like a connoisseur of establishments such as these, strip clubs are nortorious for the $8 domestic beer, $10 imports, etc. They have a captive audience and they know it, and they know that the clientel generally show up intending to drop a fat wad of cash.

as far as food goes, on the other hand, i recall a few quite decent buffets at Stringfellows and other "clubs' around town that were all inclusive for the 20 dollar or so admission. then again, i recall looking in my wallet the next day and noticing that i had spent more than 20 dollars. yes a bit more indeed. perhaps the roast beef and shrimp cocktail wasn't such a good deal after all.