• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangkok Joe's

JennyUptown

• 2 months later...

Bumping because one of my friends has suggested that we eat there for lunch tomorrow. I can't seem to find any opinions about this place, aside from Eve Zibart's review. We are also considering Don Lobos Mexican Grill.

Which one is likely to be more promising?

I've only been there once for lunch and I can neither rant or rave about it. Because it was a table-for-one weekday lunch and was trying to keep costs down, I only tried a noodle bowl and tea. The exact name of the dish escapes me, but I had the fat sen yai noodles chicken tossed with chili (referencing Zibart's review). The texture and taste of the noodles was great and the chicken tasty, but an unidentified burnt background taste kept on popping up that I wasn't sure was intentional. The tea was green and had a fancy name on the menu, but turned out to be just a pot of hot water and a straightforward tazo tea bag -- not bad, but the tea-snob in me was a little let down.

The atmosphere was interesting in an upscale pan-asian-techno way though not really my bowl of noodles (I'm more attracted to a more basic grungy down-home look).

All in all, I'd go back for more research if I was with some people from work or seeing a movie nearby. The dumplings would be high on my list of things to try.

Looks like Tom Sietsema weighed in during today's chat...

Washington, DC: Is Bangkok Joe's a good idea after a movie in Georgetown?

Tom Sietsema: For drinks? Sure. For eats? No. It's a dashing space with mediocre food.

So my friend and I ended up going to Don Lobos today. Pretty good food (refried beans with actual flavor!) and friendly service at a relatively inexpensive price. I'll definitely go back.

Where is Don Lobos?

Don Lobos just opened in the past month, which is probably why it has not been listed yet. It is located at the corner of 28th and M, right next to La Chaumiere and Tahoga.

Compared to the other restaurants in Washington Harbour

Yeah, when your main competition is Sequoia, the standard ain't exactly sky-high.