• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bisques

rockhopper

I think you're right. Most bisques normally contain some sort of seafood...seafood plus cream. :wub:

I think the bisques with veggie substitutions are "knock-offs", meaning that they are made in the same manner as a bisque but just don't contain seafood.

Think of corn bisque as an homage to seafood bisque.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Kettner's "Book of the Table" (1877; my reprint is 1968; Amazon says it is about to be re-published, but both originals and reprints are available secondhand via www.bookfinder.com) devotes 3 pages to the (doubtful) derivation of Bisque.

The earliest example is in Varenne (1685) where a bisque refers to a browny pink stew of wood pigeons ( biset) , with a ragout dressing. The colour was derived from crayfish, and over time the original meaning, and the pigeons were lost, and anything of about that colour (such as unfired pottery) was called bisque, but especially cream of crayfish.

So to be a bisque, strictly it should be a cream soup of an browny/orange/pink colour, with chunks of the principal ingredient floating in it.

Campbell's tomato bisque has tomato pieces in it; Cream of tomato is smooth.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

So to be a bisque, strictly it should be a cream soup of an browny/orange/pink colour, with chunks of the principal ingredient floating in it.

Unless, of course, it's a frozen dessert with cream and finely chopped nuts or macaroon crumbs. The color of bisque, of course. Yum.