• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mussels Ravioli

Rachel Perlow

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it was hidden in this austerity budget thread.

Making your own pasta will help stretch your food dollars. At the same time it will allow for infinite inventiveness in using up bits of things in raviolis.

I don't know where you live, but if you're in seafood territory, mussels are a delicious and cheap food.  Now that they're farmed, they hardly need de bearding. When the world catches on that they're not as much work the price will doubtless rise.

Hmm, the above got me thinking. Mussels Ravioli, would that work? I'm thinking steam the mussels just until they open, remove and use one each as ravioli filling (not mashed up or anything, just a whole mussel as the filling). Reduce steaming liquid (wine or stock, herbs), strain, then add cream for the sauce.

Someone who makes fresh pasta, try this for me, OK?

So, anyone think this sounds as good as I do and is up to the task?

I'm not so sure how well the texture would work either. Usually, ravioli fillings are are very soft. So you would't really be able to cut through a mussel-filled ravioli very well with a fork. I guess you would have to chuck the whole ravioli in your mouth.

I think the mussels would work better with another type of pasta...linguini, tagliatelle w/mussels, etc.

I think you can get away with it if the mussels are cool when you stuff them into the ravioli. Thin fresh pasta will cook al dente in a minute or two, just enough time to warm the mussel inside. What about starting with smoked mussels and putting some sweated diced shallots inside the ravioli with them?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I made oyster ravioli once.

Salt the shucked oysters in their container, and leave for 12 hours. Roll out pasta dough into 2 sheets. Drain oysters in a strainer, then blot with towel paper. Brush the bottom layer of pasta dough with a damp pastry brush. Lay the oysters out on the bottom layer of pastry, leaving space between them. Top with the other sheet, press between the edges to seal, and cut out free-form with a zigzag wheel doohickey. Slip into simmering salted water to cook.

Serve with sauteed sherried mushrooms and melted brie.

These are real eyeballs-roll-up-in-the-head stuff.

Sounds worthwhile, but I'm wondering if double cooking the mussels (once to open them and once to cook the ravioli) might not make them a bit tough.  Can you shuck an uncooked mussel?

Well, normally I steam them with some wine, herbs and other flavorings for about 5-7 minutes. I was thinking just doing it for about 2 minutes. That would be long enough to kill them and enable shucking. A quick cool off in the fridge and then use to fill ravioli. The fresh pasta should only need about 3 minutes to cook, right?

What about mincing them either raw or cooked like Vengroff suggested to make a more traditional filling?

This would give the desired flavor, but get rid of some of the chewey texture issues.

It sounds good to me - especially the sauce.

Bill Russell

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea, Rachel. :wacko:

Is this the way you guys talk to each other during the day?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If the dough is really, really thin, I don't think the double cooking would hurt the mussels too much, because it would be so fast. Or if you really are concerned, wrap the mussel meat in somthing else first, maybe melted leeks?

Oh. this is pretty much what other people said. No surprise, actually. :raz:

What about mincing them either raw or cooked like Vengroff suggested to make a more traditional filling?

This would give the desired flavor, but get rid of some of the chewey texture issues.

It sounds good to me - especially the sauce.

Just last month I enjoyed (twice) an appetizer of escargot ravioli in a reduced cream sauce, very sheer pasta, in which the escargot were chopped fine and very lightly seasoned.

Maybe could we put a hint of safron in the cream sauce for the mussels?

eGullet member #80.

Is this the way you guys talk to each other during the day?  :laugh: 

We frequently use AOL Instant Messenger. Our computers are in separate offices, easier than shouting.

Maybe could we put a hint of safron in the cream sauce for the mussels?

Nah, I don't wanna chop them. Actually, I don't have immediate plans to make this dish, right now it's just theoretical. I've never made my own ravioli before, this was just an idea I came up with. I also like the idea of using oysters too, although I'd probably want to cook them slightly before enrobing in pasta as well.

I definitely like the idea of adding saffron to the cream sauce. One of my dads and my favorite appetizers at a local restaurant we used to go to is NZ mussels w/Saffron Cream Sauce. My dad would ask for it over linquini as a main course, mmm.

I'd chill the cooked mussels and stuff and cook the ravioli ala minute.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM