• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Price bump for "specials" - why?

phaelon56

Many good points have been made here. Most significan tis hte fact that it was my responsibility to ask and I failed to do so. That said.... I can easily understand how special seasonal ingredients, fish that's brought in in limited quantities unusual prep methjd etc can all drive up the price of "specials" but this one just seemd to be good old fashioned price gouging. I hardly consider chicken, sausage, peas or brown sauce and sweet red peppers to be unusual ingredients that the average Italian restaurant would not already have on hand.

Mea culpa and it won't happen again. By the way.... I walked right by Meli Melo on Madison near 29th on my way to this place. Now wishing I had tried it - any feedback on it? Looked like a nice place - French and Mediterranean menu and moderately priced.

That said....  I can easily understand how special seasonal ingredients, fish that's brought in in limited quantities unusual prep methjd etc can all drive up the price of "specials"  but this one just seemd to be good old fashioned price gouging. I hardly consider chicken, sausage, peas or brown sauce and sweet red peppers to be unusual ingredients that the average Italian restaurant would not already have on hand.

do we have any hard facts on that sausage?

Edited by tommy (log)

do we have any hard facts on that sausage?

No. Not apart from the fact that it was about the diameter of Italian sausage, had an appearance akin to chorizo but with a softer texture and much less spicy. The flavor was nicely subtle. Perhaps it's some special Argentinean sausage that costs a lot more? (not that there was all that much of it in the dish).