• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween in France

menton1

According to a report by the AP, the Halloween phenomenon that has been growing for the past few years in France is now starting to wane. Apparently more attention is being given to Nov 1, All Saints Day, a major holiday all over the country. The big losers are the merchants and the bars that did a nice business connected to "alloween". I think they are on the right track-- this Holiday has become somewhat of a nuisance here in the US-- it's not like the Halloween I remember growing up. Halloween Fading in France Article

Sounds like retro-chavinism to me. :biggrin:

"The French market has moved away from the gory side, it's now more about being 'scary but cute'," said marketing director Isabelle Geniez. "It's a good compromise."

How can you not like "scary but cute?"

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Halloween's weird here in Paris - kids get dressed up for school parties weeks ahead - then night of - last night - it's mostly guys out drinking - no trick-or-treating really anywhere. At the Plaza Athenee we did the cutest candies for guests - little cello sacks of white chocolate ghosts, dark chocolate mendiants in witch face molds, etc. - and had Brochettes de Halloween at the Personnel Restaurant - very scary indeed.

Toussaint - All Saints' Day - is a quiet, Catholic, family-oriented holiday. Most businesses are closed - and it's celebrated the way most holidays are celebrated here in France - with family, friends, and food.

this Holiday has become somewhat of a nuisance here in the US--  it's not like the Halloween I remember growing up.

How so?

the kids don't even say "trick or treat" anymore.

Could it be because kids today are greedier than ever and not taught to say "please and "thank you?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

this Holiday has become somewhat of a nuisance here in the US--  it's not like the Halloween I remember growing up.

How so?

Could it be because kids today are greedier than ever and not taught to say "please and "thank you?

dunno. though that sounds like a generalization.

How so?

dunno. though that sounds like a generalization.

It is, but a qualified one. I have spent the past eight years working with all kinds of kids.

Kids today expect more material things than they did when I first started. I have to "teach" please and thank you now.

There are kids out there who know how to say please and thank you, are aware how lucky they are, etc. but they are not as common as they were just a few years ago.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

All kids have to be taught to say "Please" and "Thank you," and it's always been that way. I guess what you're saying is that the kids you work with weren't taught that by their parents.

Michael aka "Pan"

All kids have to be taught to say "Please" and "Thank you," and it's always been that way. I guess what you're saying is that the kids you work with weren't taught that by their parents.

yeah, i think when hillvalley says he/she needs to teach children, he's/she's referring to others' children.

most of the children i come across are very polite. i just don't know if i accept a generalization like that. and i don't know if a trend of that sort could be recognized in a few short years.

Edited by tommy (log)

How so?

1/ We could actually go without our parents, door to door, and not worry about razor blades in the candy or being accosted, or worse...

2/ No one sprayed shaving cream on car windshields (very difficult to clean)

3/ On the morning of Nov 1 the entire neighborhood was not littered with toilet paper.

I'm sure it's just as safe for children to trick-or-treat without their parents within the building I grew up in than it was in the 70s, when I did it. Trick-or-treating outside of the building was off-limits, and we were warned about dangerous weirdos that might be waiting to poison us, etc.

Michael aka "Pan"