• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinque Figlie--Whippany

Rosie

Lowell and I have had wonderful meals out all week and last night we had another winner at Cinque Figlie 302 Whippany Road, Whippany. We started out with bruschetta topped with juicy tomatoes and a grilled circle of stuffed zucchini. Bread was served warm--thank you-- and a bottle of fruity olive oil was on the table. For an appetizer Lowell had a fabulous smoked salmon filled with mascarpone cheese that was tied together with a chive ribbon. My grilled calamari with a fresh herb dressing was perfectly cooked and delightfully presented as a flower with a tomato forming the center of the flower. All of the dishes were beautifully presented and the ribs of my lamb chops were intertwined and standing at attention. They were surrounded by piped mounds of scrumptious sweet potatoes, broccoli spears, and a mound of mashed potatoes topped with a small stuffed tomato. Lowell had a pasta special swimming with mussels, clams and a half of lobster with a spicy tomato sauce. We both loved it also but it was messy. We shared a walnut tart for dessert. With a bottle of Carpineto 1999 Chianti Classico we had a wonderful dining experience. Call 973-560-0545 for reservations.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 7 months later...

In support of the "Dine Out For Hunger" program to raise money for the NJ FoodBank, Lowell and I dined with friends at Cinque Figlie 302 Whippany Road, Whippany last night. Chef/owner Joe Mucerino serves consistently good food and service is top notch.

We started out with bruschetta topped with juicy tomatoes and a grilled circle of stuffed zucchini. Bread was served warm and a bottle of fruity olive oil was on the table.

If offered "don't miss" the garlic/potato/leek soup which is made without cream. Another delicious soup was the pumpkin and leek soup swimming with grilled sea scallops. Salads were also very good. I had a portobello mushrooms, roasted peppers and greens and my friend had the mixed baby greens with poached pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola in a balsamic vinaigrette.

Two of us had perfectly cooked grilled shrimp over black pasta with roasted peppers, eggplant and fresh tomatoes. A friend had a fabulous striped bass in a crispy pignoli nut crust and Lowell had the swordfish with wild mushrooms. Every morsel on the plates was finished.

We did manage two desserts for charity :rolleyes:

and both were worth the calories; an Italian cheesecake and a bourbon walnut chocolate torte. Phone: 973-560-0545.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 8 months later...

Chef/owner Joe Mucerino of Cinque Figlie 302 Whippany Road, Whippany never fails to deliver. Had a delightful dinner starting with bruschetta topped with tomatoes and grilled circles of stuffed zucchini. Bread was served warm and a bottle of fruity olive oil was on the table. Appetizers were a special of spinach and radicchio salad topped with goat cheese and walnuts; a pumpkin/leek soup with grilled sea scallops; and grilled calamari in a fresh herb dressing. Entrees were grilled shrimp over black pasta with roasted peppers, eggplant and fresh tomatoes (one of my favorite dishes); a special of strawberry bass with shellfish; a fabulous filet of striped bass in a crispy pignoli nut crust and perfectly cooked sea scallops over shredded potatoes and leeks surrounded by a balsamic and port wine reduction. We had berries, tartufo, and a bourbon walnut chocolate torte for dessert. Phone: 973-560-0545.

Have you dined out recently? Be sure to give us a report.

Lou Reda--So sorry---I forgot to call you. Next time.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Lou, shouldn't you be working? Its Saturday night at 10PM.

dave-

lou has a problem addressed on another thread(egullet addiction). :wink:

or it is reaaaalllyyyyy slow tonight at work

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lou, shouldn't you be working? Its Saturday night at 10PM.

dave-

lou has a problem addressed on another thread(egullet addiction). :wink:

or it is reaaaalllyyyyy slow tonight at work

There's a thread on egullet addiction? Where?

Slowwwwwww weekend.

Yeah, Saturday, on a beautiful weekend, a week before, Labor day, the purchasing of clothes for school and The Jewish holiday's.

I taking as much personal time with the family as I can. :biggrin:

The Jewish holidays are not next week. :biggrin:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Yeah, Saturday, on a beautiful weekend, a week before, Labor day, the purchasing of clothes for school and The Jewish holiday's.

I taking as much personal time with the family as I can. :biggrin:

The Jewish holidays are not next week. :biggrin:

I know. The holidays fall when I take my sabbatical down the shore for two weeks in late Sept. :smile:

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 1 year later...

Had a delicious lunch at Cinque Figlie today. Chef/owner Joe Mucerino makes one of the best renditions of grilled calamari and we started off with two orders as no one wanted to share this tasty appetizer. Another appetizer of arugula, endive and radicchio salad topped with thinly sliced Parmesan cheese was large and beautifully presented.

I loved the thinly sliced tuna served over warm baby greens with a balsamic sauce. It is listed as an appetizer but was large enough for a lunch entrée. Friends had a stripped bass, and grilled scallops and shrimp with squid ink pasta. Both were reported to be luscious.

With cappuccino we had some fresh fruit for dessert. Cinque Figlie is open for lunch Monday through Friday 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM; dinner Monday through Thursday 5 to 10 PM; Friday and Saturday 5 to 11 PM; full bar. Phone: 973-560-0545.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 9 months later...

Cinque Figlie, 302 Whippany Road, Whippany is a lovely restaurant to have lunch—especially on a Monday when so many places are closed. We started off with shiitake mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat followed by ink squid pasta with grilled scallops and shrimp; and salmon Livornese. If you haven't been here this restaurant is also a wonderful spot for dinner With two glasses of wine the bill with tax and tip was $30 a person. Phone: 973-560-0545.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE