• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joel's Malibu in Ridgewood

tommy

I'd be curious.

There's a pretty good rule of thumb out west: Avoid all deli's that have NY in their title (e.g. the New York Deli in Boulder, Colorado).

I wonder whether there is a collorary for Metro NY restaurants with LA or Malibu in the title.

beachfan

I wonder whether there is a corrolary for Metro NY restaurants with LA or Malibu in the title.

generally speaking, in and around NY, if the name has "NY" in the title it is to be avoided. so this isn't just an east coast/west coast thing, yo.

my impression of this place is that the "malibu" is indicative more of a "state of mind", or "approach", if not simply "bright decor and fake palm trees."

i shall be going soon and will report back.

Tommy, My saucier worked for Joel, and thought he was a very good cook. Take it for what it's worth. I've never eaten there and my saucier never has either. Yeah he worked there, but that's not the same :wink:

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

We're regular's at Joel's -- In part because it is close to home and Joel will whip up any desire, and in part because he has regular menu options that we just crave. Joel is clossed on Mondays and m-f has a lunch menu that always differs from his dinners.

Lunch soups are always large offerings, as stated all of his orders arrive on oversize plates - My favorite lunch salad is his Psychdellic Chicken Salad - his version of a chineese/ asian salad served with a crisp fruity dressing - the colors give the dish its name. His stir fry (also lunch) are fresh, his seasonings linger, his tea options always differs. The customers who linger at lunch often get samples of coming attractions - Joel is not shy about saying "taste this".

Dinner draws a crowd, and just a reminder this is a B&B - a list of specials greets each table along with a basket of veggies, and bread and a sweet poppyseed dipping sauce.

I am drawn to his fish - any of his fish - he plays with nuts, seasonings, his pasta options are fresh and his first course offering of mussles are worthy of a main course listing.

Desserts are brought in from a local woman who bakes them in her home, and are always different.

on a slow night, or late in the night- Joel has been known to take to his guitar (not a hi-lite of the dining experience).

Joel tells the story of returning to NJ after his dad's death - he had a restaurant in Malibu and the entrace is full of photos from the old place and the many celebs who frequented the Malibu place...

prices average $14-29 p/ entree -

Worth a car ride despite the hassle of parking in town .

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

joel's was actually pretty decent when i went a couple of weeks ago. it's the kind of place that i would return to probably more for the vibe than the food. it's funky, energetic, and fun.

there are several parking lots in ridgewood that will cost you about 2 dollars to use for a couple of hours. i'm always amazed that people complain about the parking in ridgewood.

• 2 months later...

Went to this restaurant Sunday night, and would like to report. I have had my eye on the place since peering in and looking over the menu posted in the window.

We were first timers, and Joel himself came out before the meal and sat down and chatted with us for 5-7 minutes. A charming, warm guy. An eccentric place with lava lamps and cross-cultural knick knacks hanging on the walls. Salad starters were excellent, crunchy, and atypical of the boring salads at most places. He then sent out Tomato Bisque soup, complimentary, a nice touch. A wonderful soup, made with shrimp broth, we were told. The 3 of us then all had very interesting entrees. "Godzilla Stir Fry" was a wonderment of different flavors and textures. The Panko coated Trout was delicious, with mashed potatoes made bright with beet coloring and a bright green color derived from basil and parsley juices. Also the pasta with porcini mushrooms was a cut above the ordinary pasta entrees. The coffee was weak, but it didn't matter. The rest of the meal was too good to let coffee spoil it.

For a refreshing, great-tasting, interesting experience, I recommend Joel's to everyone!! (Go to Ridgewood Coffee co. for coffee).

T

as i recall, david echoed one of my problems with the place: plates are too busy with gratuitous garnish.

however, it's very un-ridgewood in attitude, which i appreciate. and the soup i had was outrageous. (other dishes were decent enough). desserts aren't made on premises as far as i understand, but are very good.

• 3 months later...

Went back again to Joel's last night, and, as usual, a fun time was had by all. This is a quirky place where you can just have a relaxed good time with really creative food. "Godzilla stir fry" was ordered, and I would like to describe it as someone had asked on this thread before. It is a huge platter of "kitchen sink" ingredients-- shrimp, chicken, myriads of veggies, and a sort-of Asian sauce, but more interesting and deeper flavored. If you can finish this one, you are REALLY hungry. The scallop entree was very interesting, with mashed sweet potatoes covering the scallops in a cookie-type design; The potato Latka appetizer is also heavenly. Add in an ambience of lava lights, glass lanterns, photos of Joel with movie stars (From his previous venture in L.A.) and a visit from Joel to schmooze with you adds up to a very pleasant if a little less serious dining experience. It's also a BYOB, which is nice. A very unpretentious eating experience, but with very good food!!

• 7 months later...

Grandma Carol came over to babysit the kids last night (Sat 10/11) so my wife and I scrambled out to get some dinner and a movie in Ridgewood. After poking around on here and tired of shelling out at the same restaurants in Rwood, decided to try Joel's Malibu. It was great.

The kitchen sent out a portion of the psychedelic salad as a amuse bouche - super crisp and refreshing - not too sweet or salty soy ginger dressing, then we had the potato latke - great flavor combinations. Joel brought it out himself. Charming guy - told him all about egullet. He put together a platter of my scallops (served with a carrot and roasted pepper mousse, big scallops and super tender) and my wife's mahi mahi with candied pecans - great texture not too sweet. sides included roasted root vegetables and a lovely lemon lime infused rice. All great - walked out feeling full but not stuffed and the service was very friendly.

Joel cam back out to ask how everything was - and sat and scribbled down all the other egullet home runs we mentioned - Bobolink, Picklecious, Kinchley's, Baltazar Bakery, Finks, Finks again. Now we are adding Joel's to the list.

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

there has been some talk about joel's on egullet, but not nearly enough. (edit: threads merged)

although i'm always trying to think of interesting places to eat in that area, i always forget about joel's. i shall work to fix that problem.

Edited by tommy (log)

We have been going to Joel's since it opened.

It is a funky place, but very cozy.

If you like fruits, vegetables and grains in your dishes, this is the place. Every thing is always fresh and interesting. His soups are first rate. We have taken soups out to have for a dinner course at home. Fish, shellfish and chicken dishes are not the usual run-of-the-mill offerings.

When Joel has time on his hands, he has piped my name on the rim of the dish using mashed potatoes. A charming host.

BYOB

I've been there a lot. It is true that the plates are busy but that is in keeping with the psychedelic nature of the place. It is nicely funky and laid back with Joel always trying to explore different things. That description of him writing down all the eGullet info sounds like what I have observed of him.

I am fond of their "bread" selection- a mixture of fresh vegetables, vegetable chips and foccacia with a very nice dipping sauce. I also like their veal with merlot sauce.

I've enjoyed these post's about dining in Ridgewood. This sure isn't anything like the town I left after selling my home in Franklyn Lakes after re-locating to Hong Kong in 1964. I had spent some time attempting to introduce a more interesting Menu at the 'Hunt Tavern", but Sliced Steak S/W and Meat Loaf remained the most popular dishes. The most exotic meals were provided at a place that had different china for each setting. Most popular for each extreme was T&W, Olsens and the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Hi everyone,

Im glad to hear that you all have mainly enjoyed your experiences at Joel's.

I had worked for Joel for quite a while before moving to California.

I miss Joel's. I talk to him and the staff regularlly.

I want to say that Joel as well as the rest of his staff pours their heart and soul into the restaurant.

Joel takes pride in the food and presentation, even if it may be too busy or overwhelming for some, it is all done with passion and pride. He is in a small kitchen with limited staff and it is very demanding.

He was a great boss and a good guy. I worked at numerous restaurants in NJ- including 28 Oak, just down the street and nobody puts as much pride into their place as Joel and the staff.

My favorite thing to eat was always the Latka appetizer. Yummy. And the saigon chicken. MMMM. He may have changed the name now.

I probably waited on some of you as I worked there for 3 years before moving in late 2001.

Ive been in San Francisco for 2 years now and I dislike the restaurants here immensely. They lack creativity and atmosphere for the most part. I really havent found one place in 2 years that I enjoy going to over and over.

Just wanted to share, Ronn =)