• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soto Rumors

Coffeeman

There is a rumor circulating that one, some or all Soto restaurants (including their fast food "Sushi Shops", which IMHO make Captain High Liner frozen fish sticks seem like the height of gastronomical experiences) may be closing. The rumor also says that the Soto on St-Laurent will be taken over by Koji, to open a new Sushi place.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Has their aggressive expansion finally caught up to them? It would please me a great deal to hear of their demise. I'm tired of explaing to my friends the difference between trendy location/decor and good sushi.

i saw the plan for the location on st laurant,it is going to be a QUITE A PLACE ,it will be designed by a good friend ANDRE ESCOBAR,as far as SOTO i know that they are opening a huge trendy sort of cuisine de marche in the SQUARE VICTORIA area....i was approached for a partnership but had the GLADIATORE in mind at the time.........................matteo

Hmmm, and how would this be any different from a place like Koji's?

I'm not sure if you're saying that Koji's is as bad as Soto or that Soto is as good as Koji's....Either way, i'll chalk it up to to being a difference of opinion. If I had to put my finger on what I prefer about Koji's, I would say that they work with fresher ingredients. Also their maki's are more interesting to me both in terms the combinations and that I can actually taste the different ingredients unlike Soto's, which to my pallet are amorphous in taste. I also recall one particularly bad experience at Soto in Laval where a piece of sushi (don't remember what type of fish) was so foul, I had to walk to the bathroom to spit it out. The 'seafood gone bad' alarms were unmistakable. It wasn't a "does this smell funny to you?" bad either, it was bordering gag reflex. I didn't complain because I was on a first date and I didn't want to make fuss but in retrospect I probably should have said something.

Edited by Coffeeman (log)

Their sleazy take-out policy was what finally stopped me from going.

lol...Touche! It's a bit of chink in the armour in an otherwise upscale sushi place. I've never tried the take-out but just its presence lessens the prestige. If marketing emphasis turns from from word of mouth and reviews to HEY WE HAVE 70S-USHI! (Which is their take out # number), it most definitely lessens the place. I'm praying that your comment of "sleazy take-out policy" doesn't mean a severe drop in quality (i.e.: lesser grade sushi or 2 hour + waits). Because i'd be reliving the "Santa/Easter Bunny/Multiple Party System in Canadian Democracy/Tooth Fayrie" trauma again. I know they don't exist, but sometimes ignorance is bliss. I understand your disdain buti if you have any specific examples, i'd love to hear them....

Oh and don't you love their take out prices? rofl! Granted, i'm a big eater, and I don't mind spending three digits on a good sushi meal. Especially if you provide a great atmosphere. However, do not expect me to spend restaurant prices on delivery sushi. We'll leave those charges to bloated and irresponsible corporate expense accounts (your bank "service charges" paid for a lot of makis this year - having worked at one of the big five I can assure you that).

Without going into too much detail about my objections to their takeout policy, I am not talking about the 70 sushi concept but rather the appearance of an ATM in the lobby. I have done takeout at numerous sushi restaurants but have never encountered the problems faced at Koji's.

OK, is it the fact that they ask for cash only ? With the usual mafia like cash machine ? Other than that I don't see any real difference between what they have at the tables and what is in my bag (and I am not talking about the take weird menus for lunch, I'm talking the usual stuff).

Love it or hate it, I don't where is the problem with the take out (apart from the cash request which doesn't make a lot of sense but is minor in my mind).

The sushi in the bag is very good indeed but the "cash only" thing is what I find very sleazy. There is no acceptable reason why they cannot accept credit cards for take out.

The issue is not so minor if you are entertaining clients at your office and want to charge the sushi to your expense account.

Good point indeed... try sushi volant instead but you'll need to know 24 hours ahead of time. I've always wondered about that cash only policy... is it because it's pretty common for Montreal pick pockets to head out to Kaizen with stolen credit cards for a sushi meal ??? Real odd.

I don't want to make any accusations but when you think about it long enough you come to only one conclusion about why they insist on cash. Forget about any excuses that the drones at the counter give you and think about it for a while.

hahaha, asking for cash only is a sure sign, especially when you leave the drawer open between transactions (the good ol corner shop approach). The no names cash machines have also been linked to laundering groups in North America, great way to recycle money...

Hello

This is my first post on here. I'm the son of one of the owners at Kaizen in Westmount and involved in the expansion project on St.Laurent.

I have recently moved into the office and part time floor managing at the Restaurant but have been involved in the alcohol purchasing for about 3-4 years.

If you have any questions please post or e-mail me at Cassadys@70sushi.com. This seems like an interesting and fun board.

Cassady

Hey Cassady, Welcome to eGullet :smile:

Thanks for supplying your e-mail address, but here at eGullet we prefer to keep the discussions open. If you don't mind, could you answer questions for all of us, right here on the board? Those one on one e-mail exchanges are so isolating. :rolleyes:

So, first question, when are you planning on opening the St-Laurent restaurant? And we Tri be working there?

okay sorry about the e-mail address thing..... :cool:

As for opening day we are aiming at November 1st.....and yes Tri will be there....the plan is for him to become the excutive chef of both locations and bounce back and forth each night. It's the best we can do short of cloning him :raz: .

Just a note that in Kaizen (the westmount downstairs version) we have brought back in past 2 months one of our best Sushi-Chefs Keitaro....(he is very talented in terms of creativity and speed of production)....

Cassady

Hi Cassady,

I am a regular at Kaizen, both upstairs and down.

Will the St-Laurent venu be more like Kaizen downsatirs or will the presentation be more like Tri house ? I'm going to guess more like upstairs.

Will you take this opportunity to make a few changes to the menu ?

Finally, will you offer take out at this location and will large orders of take out be accepted on credit cards.

Sorry for all the questions, inquiring minds want to know.

sorry for not responding right away but i've been out for the past 3 days and nights.....my friends and I are putting on the Rocky Horror Show Live at kola Note.....I'll respond to your questions probably on sunday or monday.....if you want to come see the show it's tonight(18th of October) at 8pm then a break till the 30th at 8pm and the 31st 8pm and midnight........

Cassady