• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kummel

iain

I've been tasked with locating and buying a bottle of "Kimmel" - supposedly a German liqueur. I've called three large liquor stores in NYC (Astor Place, Union Square, & Sherry Lehman) - none have even heard of it, let alone carry it. Does such a thing exist? If so, what is it, and where can I find it (in NYC)?

Thanks much.

Since Kummel is a germanic beverage, and NYC is a city of neighborhoods, you might want to try a german neighborhood for a liquor store that carries it-. Yorktown is the only germanic 'hood in Manhattan I can think of, and it has been overrun by UES yuppies, so I don;t know if it would be your destination or not. I'd look up Mr Wright's Liquors at about 90th and 3rd (or is it 2nd... so long since I've been up there) and ask if they've got it. A worthwhile boozery if it's still around.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 years later...

Has any one seen Kummel in Georgia? (note: it is illegal to ship to Georgia so I need to find it in state)

Barring that I can road trip to Tennessee, SoCar or even NoCar if any one has seen it in those states.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

fwiw, not sure how many of you have had Kummel, but it tastes EXACTLY like a piece of good jewish rye bread (with seeds, obviously). in the 40's and 50's, Smirnoff was actually a leading brand. Kummel traditionally comes in a bottle shaped like a bear, not unlike those honey bottles you see around.

personally, i find Kummel to be unappealing but i always thought it would be interesting to mix with a good smoky single malt and some worcestershire to try to make a cocktail that tastes like smoked pastrami on rye...