• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Global Warming

SethG

A recent article in the NY Times suggested that global warming might be behind the string of great years European vineyards have enjoyed recently, and quotes in the article from wine producers revealed that they are quietly thrilled about this development.

Whether or not global warming is really the cause, can you tell us what effect the recent string of hot years has had on your wine, and on California wine in general?

Is a warming trend good for some grapes traditionally grown in sunny climes, but bad for others traditionally grown in less tropical heat? Good for Syrah, bad for Pinot Noir?

Thanks for your participation in this Q & A!

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Dear Seth,

Damn good question. I think that as wine lovers we really do need to put our own selfish needs aside and really work for what is best for the planet, rather than for what is best for our cellars, but yeah, global warming has (I believe) been responsible for some really great vintages in Europe in the last few years. I think, however, that ultimately, global warming will be disasterous for pinot and syrah, which really do need a mild climate. With hot years you end up with wines that taste more New World - big bruisers, lots of fruit, but not necessarily a lot of finesse and refinement. Personally I am a lot happier with the cooler years in California; they do tend to produce more elegant wines. RG.