• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin Ales

erie1

Schnack and myself are big fans of DogFish in general and specifically in their PUNKin Ale.. Made with Pumpkin but not named that way...

We use it in one of our famous Beer MilkShakes, a few ounces of Punkin Ale and some vanilla ice cream and you have some thing that tastes a bit like Egg Nog only not as rich and as sweet and in my opinion, much more drinkable.

Bringing Tasty Food to World

Hey Harry, welcome aboard!

I haven't had the Dogfish yet, but I have some of the Buffalo Bill in the fridge, goes great with sausages.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey Harry, welcome aboard!

I haven't had the Dogfish yet, but I have some of the Buffalo Bill in the fridge, goes great with sausages.

A pumpkin beer beer float! What a terrific idea!

And Jason: Buffalo Bill's and a plate of hot, cheesy nachos and salsa. A preeminent pairing.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 months later...

Honestly, the only truly great pumpkin ale I've had was the 2004 Millenium Pumpkin from Elysian in Seattle. It had a nice hint of spice and that plus the high ABV (it was an Imperial Pumpkin Ale) balanced out the sweetness that I usually find undesirable in pumpkin ales.

fanatic...

• 3 weeks later...

Up here, Steamworks Brewery is the only one I know of who does a pumpkin ale. I had it at a beer-tasting and sure enough, it tasted exactly like pumpkin pie in a glass. When my friend told me that, I was a little disgusted, but i was pleasantly surprised when I actually tried it.

Had the opportunity to try one of Wild Bill's Pumpkin Ales a couple of days ago, and it was quite nice. The spicing was more subtle than I'd imagined it would be, and the body of the beer was quite light, which was also a surprise to me considering that the label indicates it was brewed with "pumpkin and spices". I still have memories of overspiced holiday brews in the past, which probably colored my expectations.

I'd imagined that the pumpkin starchs/sugars would be less fermentable, resulting in a thicker bodied beer. Not the case at all.

Overall, the beer was just a nice amber ale with a western style hopping, and a subtle undercurrent of pumpkin pie that I don't know I'd notice if I didn't know it was there. Not a beer that hits you over the head at all.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers. The best I have had was the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale.

Semi-related, one of my favorite breweries is Jolly Pumpkin in Dexter, MI, though they do not make a Pumpkin Ale even though their name might lead you to beleive that.

Jolly Pumpkin at RateBeer

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers. The best I have had was the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale.

Semi-related, one of my favorite breweries is Jolly Pumpkin in Dexter, MI, though they do not make a Pumpkin Ale even though their name might lead you to beleive that.

Jolly Pumpkin at RateBeer

Tonight I had a good pumpkin beer. 't Smisje Halloween from Belgium.

Here is my review My Review at RateBeer.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com