• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A bit cheaper in Napa?

Stone

I'm looking for a mid-range restaurant for a Saturday night in Napa. Something similar to Bistro Don Giovanni (been there twice). We're going to French Laundry on Sunday, and need to save some change.

I've heard mixed reviews about Brix. (I went to their brunch and thought it was good but not worth the money.)

Any little out of the way places I never heard of?

tra vigne - italian

mustards - california

julia's kitchen (copia)

pinot blanc - california

CIA greystone restaurant (student run, not for profit)

how about just the barbeque at Visattui (spelled wrong i think) winery? you can have a late picnic lunch with sausage, etc...outdoors

Go to Keller's Market, on the main drag in St. Helena. Buy a loaf of bread, some fruit, and then ask the cheesemonger for his recommendations re cheese and wine. John Raymond (the cheese god) has 200+ cheeses and knows pretty much everything about them--and is willing to share both knowledge and lots of tastes. He has stuff there that will make you cry (well, if you like cheese). And you can't beat the price!

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Go to Keller's Market, on the main drag in St. Helena. Buy a loaf of bread, some fruit, and then ask the cheesemonger for his recommendations re cheese and wine. John Raymond (the cheese god) has 200+ cheeses and knows pretty much everything about them--and is willing to share both knowledge and lots of tastes. He has stuff there that will make you cry (well, if you like cheese). And you can't beat the price!

That's a great idea for Saturday lunch. We can eat on the grounds of the B&B.

Oh, yeah--and if you need dessert, pick up the little chocolate things at the bakery at Bouchon in Yountville. . . . mmmhmmmmmmmm. . . .

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

That's a great idea for Saturday lunch. We can eat on the grounds of the B&B.

That's a great way to eat when you're on the road period; breaking the monotony of the whole restaurant thing is always a secondary goal for me, especially when there's great ingredients local.

We spent labor day weekend up in Mendocino and took two meals outside, out of a bag, nothing but good bread, great cheese, and a variety of smoked fish from a little smokeshop up in Ft Bragg.

Stone, you might want to check out a place called Fume. With the accent mark over the "e". It's on the same side of the highway as Bistro Don Gio's but not as far North. It's on the frontage road; I think if you turn right onto Trower Ave, then make a left at the John Muir Inn, and an immediate left again, you'll be on the frontage rd and it will be just beyond there. It's very good, has a great wine list and is very reasonably priced. A very local's hangout.

Another local's hangout is The Martini House. Also, if you want to celebrity-chef-watch, head to Bouchon LATE. After everyone's restaurants have closed for the evening, all the local and visiting chefs head there. I hung out with Julian Serrano there one evening when he was visiting for a single night, cooking for some other hoity-toities...