• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Paris

dimitris74

Hi to all,

this is my first message in this forum. Actually i found this website 2 days ago and looks pretty good. I am visiting Paris in a few days and thought maybe to get some tips about nice places i can go to for food or even food that i should try. Yes yes i know i could have a look on the web for a guide for food in Paris but i already tried and its not so good. Its always better to learn these things either by yourself or from others who share the same passion with you. I would appreciate it a lot if anyone could help me. Thank you in advance, bye.... :smile:

I trust you've already scoured the existing threads here. Most of the pertinent information already posted is not likely to be posted again. Once a regular user of this forum has suggested his favorite restaurant, pastry shop, cafe, museum, etc. he's unlikely to comment further unless there's a specific reference that brings it up again. Paris is full of good places to eat and good things to eat and this forum is full of posts mentioning the food and the places. Without some more specific information about your interests, price range, food knowledge and experience, any attempt to make suggestions is going to prove frustrating to the people who have the widest knowledge.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Sorry i am quite new here and didnt go through all the posts so far but i will. I am sure that Paris is full of good places to eat but probably thats my difficulty, not knowing where to start from hehe. Anyway i will have a look in here but i can also give you some more information. Price range i guess can be defined as average, not very expensive but not very cheap either. As for my knowledge of french food is none. I do love nice food and so far the only good french food i tried is cheese and sausages, oh and creme brulee. So basically not a lot. I only want to try some really nice food and have a nice experience from Paris thats it. Thanks anyway for you reply Bux.

I've got 2 recs for you. Get the prix fixe at L'Os a Moelle, 181, rue de Lourmel (Lourmel) Paris 014 5572828, which will expose you to a variety of good stuff cheaply. Try the seafood at Taira, 10, rue des Acacias in the 17e. Beyond that you can get decent bistro food at any number of cafes, bistros and brasseries run by Flo Group (check their site). One of the great things about Paris is that you can stroll around the streets and follow your eyes and nose--this is often enjoyable at night in the 5th and 6th.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I am sure that Paris is full of good places to eat but probably thats my difficulty, not knowing where to start from hehe.

Join the crowd. My first trip to Paris was made over forty years ago. I've returned more than a few times. My last visit was just about a year ago and I'm on my way back. Once again, my problem is deciding where to eat. There are just too many choices. There are the ones I missed last time, the ones I forgot about, the ones I tried and want to revisit and the ones that have opened since last year. :biggrin:

Where are you staying?

Here are some simple places that offer good French food

Dauphin, 167 rue St. Honoré, 1st arrondisement good hearty dishes from the southwest of France and grilled foods. Nice cassoulet (beans and meat), excellent pork cheeks in stew.

Vaudeville, 29 rue Vivienne, 2nd arr. - nice marble interior, brasserie with simple food--steak frites, oysters,

Fontaine de Mars, 129 rue St. Dominique 7th arr. - small charming bistro with traditional food.

There are dozens of places equally as good, but these have served us recently. They are not destination restaurants, but are places where you can learn about good honest French food. A good guidebook is very useful. I like the Michelin Guide Rouge. It's relatively reliable. It lists restaurants by arrondisement (district). The prices shown are generally accurate and the quality of the food is usually in line with the prices. Naturally the starred restaurants are special and usually expensive.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My thoughts:

L'Escargot-Montorgueil

in the 1st, Metro: Halles

Escargot served in all kinds of clever and diffferent ways...also great oysters....rue Montorgueil itself is a very active street with lots of interesting places and things to see and do

Roger la Grenouille

in the 6th, Metro: Odeon

Been around since the '30s so by Paris standards it's a newbie :) very reasonable prices very good bistro food and a fun scene all around

Have fun