• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Restaurant Opening at 43d and Spruce

sara

Pho & Cafe Saigon opens at 10 am tomorrow (Friday) morning. They are open 10-8:30 every day except Mondays.

I have their menu here. Nearly everything on it is priced at $5.25 or $5.50. They have 5 sections: appetizers (spring rollls, shrimp toast, etc); pho (about 13 different varieties including chicken, shrimp and one that looks veg); vermecelli; rice flake; and steamed broken rice. I only see one truly vegetarian option--that pho I mentioned.

It's a pretty long menu, but lacks specialities like shrimp w/ sugar cane, vegs like bok choy, anything like the crawfish at Vietnam, etc.

Anyways, I'm going tomorrow for a late breakfast, so I'll report back.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

So tehy're completely closed on Monday? Of course. And open only until 8:30? Not too user-friendly for dinner. Can't wait to read your first impressions, Sara. And Katie, do you know my family? I think I've been listening to the "kosher at home/shellfish out" routine my whole life!

owner, Rx

Excerpts from today's Table Talk with Michael Klein:

"Gary Levin and the crew from University City's Campus Epicurean have surfaced as the Salad Bowl at the Pavilion in Jenkintown...It's open at 8 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays and closes in the late afternoon. Levin plans to extend hours and add early dinners."

(Um yeah, I'll believe it when I see it! He talked about extending hours here for years...)

Also, more West Philly news...

"Qdoba Mexican Grill just inked a deal for 40th and Locust Streets. (The sit-down chain is also penciled in for 1528 Walnut St. in Center City.)"

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Well, they're open! I was the first customer, at 10:10 am this morning (hey, the early bird gets the worm, right?)

I had the Pho Tai Nam Bo Vien (Pho w/ beef Eye Round, Flank, Beef Ball) ($5.25) and a lychee drink ($2.00). The pho was pretty good--the broth was a little sweet for my taste, but nothing that a little spicy sauce couldn't fix. The noodles were slightly overcooked I think, but really, all is forgivable when you're eating more than decent food within shouting distance of your home. I'm just thrilled, and am sure the food will improve with practice/time.

I was the only customer until about 10:45, when a friend of mine wandered in, but disappointed to find no vegetarian offerings at all (and the waiter told him, no, there were none), he left. I then spoke to one of the owners and explained the need for veg options, particularly in this area. She said she'd talk to the chef and try to put some on the menu--she seemed surprised there was demand for it. By the time I left at 11 am, there were 3 additional people dining, and 2 more getting takeout. And the staff (about 5 people) already started to seem overwhelmed (i.e. it took 15 minutes to get my check). But this is day one, and again, it's forgivable.

Other changes--the dining room looks so much better! I don't love the cheesy pictures of the food, but the tables are nicely organized, the chairs are nice, tables neatly set, nice display case of fruit and dessert..and they installed 2 air-conditioners (oh boy, hot August brunches at Campus Epicurean with only a ceiling fan were so fun...)! And the staff is far from rude or surly, they are very very friendly.

Anyways, I'm hoping you'll all go and give them some business--they are such a welcome addition to the neighborhood!

-- William Grimes

Excerpts from today's Table Talk with Michael Klein:

"Gary Levin and the crew from University City's Campus Epicurean have surfaced as the Salad Bowl at the Pavilion in Jenkintown...It's open at 8 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays and closes in the late afternoon. Levin plans to extend hours and add early dinners."

(Um yeah, I'll believe it when I see it! He talked about extending hours here for years...)

Also, more West Philly news...

"Qdoba Mexican Grill just inked a deal for 40th and Locust Streets. (The sit-down chain is also penciled in for 1528 Walnut St. in Center City.)"

yea, there was so much info in table talk this week.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Just polishing off a bowl of pho now - it's really good, as was the vermicelli/shrimp dish. Not too crazy about the shrimp roll and a pate/vermicelli dish, but I think that's because tehy were using some herb that I did not recognize and was not crazy about. There was basil, cilantro, and something that looked like a cross between basil and arugula. Kind of astringent. Anyway, they did a very credible job considering it was day one. Can't comment on the decor or the service, though - someone went for takeout.

owner, Rx

And Katie, do you know my family? I think I've been listening to the "kosher at home/shellfish out" routine my whole life!

Greg:

I dont' think I know your family, but I know a lot of people like them :smile: I hope I didn't offend, but as I said, it just seems silly to me to do things that way. The idea of keeping kosher or adhering to vegetarianism is a religious/moral choice. It requires the ability to deny oneself of many of life's culinary pleasures based on something imbedded in your personal belief system. I know I don't check my beliefs at the door when I go out, so I just can't fathom how anyone could rationalize this and still be comfortable with it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I went again yesterday and had the vermicelli w/ spring rolls and charbroiled pork, and it was great--really great, as good as I've had it anywhere. I was grinning the whole time I was eating. My friend had the shrimp spring rolls, loved them, and also a fresh mango milkshake-indeed, with real mango, and a steal at $2.00. I am such a happy, well-fed, West Philly gal now.

They had a line out the door--to the corner and down a bit, on Friday night. They keep adding outdoor seating, and are handling the crowds well. I went at 6:15 last night and didn't have to wait, but there was a wait by the time we left.

-- William Grimes

• 5 weeks later...

FYI

They have now added at least two vegetarian specials to the menu--you just have to ask for them. Veg and rice, and veg and rice stick I believe. Also, they are now open til 9 rather than 8.

-- William Grimes