• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pink Swordfish

guajolote

The first thing that occurs to me: a crustacean diet is what makes wild salmon flesh pinkish-orange; the same thing happens to some species of trout that feed on freshwater shrimp.

OK, the first thing that occurred to me was really "Uh-oh. Some fishie forgot the Coppertone," but I figured you wouldn't take me seriously. Chalk it up to a Dad who's been chanting "Don't forget the sunscreen" for a few months now.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The first thing that occurs to me: a crustacean diet is what makes wild salmon flesh pinkish-orange; the same thing happens to some species of trout that feed on freshwater shrimp.

Shrimp was the first explanation that popped into my mind, too. The fishmonger didn't think so, he said that swordfish lived near the surface and that the shrimp were much deeper.

When I go back later this week I'll ask where the swordfish came from.

Weird.

But looks tasty.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I just called my fishmonger, who is usually quite knowledgable and asked about pink swordfish.

The response: If it is a violent and unnatural pink, probably dye.

If it is sort of a peach color, could be cut from close to the belly.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The real answer: Swordfish flesh-color is diet-specific, which can vary depending upon the species. Atlantic swordfish always have a pinkish color to their flesh, as they're often called "salmon swords." Pacific swordfish are the ones that are a milky white. Most swordfish, as with all billfish, feed primarily on squid, mackerel, tuna, and other fish rather than krill or shrimp, which comprises the smallest part of their diet. (In the Gulf of Mexico, cephalopods account for the largest part of a swordfish's diet. Atlantic swordfish mostly eat blue whiting and squid. Pacific swordfish prefer to munch on fish in the family Myctophidae family, or lanternfishes, followed by myriad squid types.)

The bloodline and flesh-color of your sample were perfect. No need to worry because color is not an indication of quality.

Much peace,

Ian Lowe

ballast/regime

Edited by ballast_regime (log)

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close