• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: All In The Family: A Children's Menu Odyssey

Fat Guy

I actually did some superficial research to determine the origins of the children's menu, and I really couldn't find anything. A good google-master might come up with something, and I'd really appreciate knowing the answer to this question.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

According to The Food Timeline--Culinary History Timeline, the first children's menu was in the "1920s, U.S.---Children's menu from St. Clairs.'"

This certainly pre-dates McDonald's introduction of their children's menu. According to Macs Happy Toys History page, "the idea of a Children's menu is born" in 1977, and in 1979 "the Happy Meal for children takes its place on the menu USA: The first one is called 'CIRCUS WAGON'."

Somehow, I don't think it is the very first children's menu ever. It just seems too polished, you know? It already has the cliche, now passe, nursery rhymes with pictures on it. But it is probably one of the earlier popular versions. There are some other children's menus I saw with similar items on it (creamed chicken on toast and sliced chicken sandwiches seemed popular), however french fries must not have been invented yet, because you don't see them anywhere on the old children's menus. In fact, there's actually a lot of veggies on there. A "vegetable platter with assorted rolls" was another popular offering, or a poached egg over spinach or an omelette. Could you even imagine those being offered to children today? (Except in France, of course of course.)