• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

seafood restaurants open on mondays

katbert

Also a friend wants to go for seafood tonight, maybe for tuna- does anyone have any recommendations? We have a car so we could get out of town if we needed to. Maybe but not necessarily sushi.

tia, kt

Where's Bourdain?

:biggrin:

Matthew is trying to tell you something about freshness.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Look no further than Dmitri's, at 3rd and Catherine. Greek style seafood. Grilled Octopus to start and whatever suits your fancy for the entree.

Don't think Bourdain's been there, at least not on a Monday. But he'd do fine ordering fish then.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Look no further than Dmitri's, at 3rd and Catherine.  Greek style seafood.  Grilled Octopus to start and whatever suits your fancy for the entree.

Don't think Bourdain's been there, at least not on a Monday.  But he'd do fine ordering fish then.

Katbert,

Although this probably comes too late for tonight, I'd agree wholeheartedly with Holly on this one. Dmitri's is ALWAYS good, reliable and fresh.

Sansom Street Oyster House is open on Mondays. Good, basic seafood chow with a good raw bar. Cheap oysters and clams on the half shell during happy hour (I think they still do this - call and check).

Striped Bass (we were pretty slow reservations-wise when I left at 7PM, so I'm sure they'd be happy to take you as a walk-in).

Devon Seafood Grill. Nice view of Rittenhouse Square and outside seating. Good mussels served in various ways in cute little iron pots.

Philadelphia Fish & Company. Used to have a great cheap bar menu. Not sure if they still do. Not as great as some of these other choices IMHO, but certainly decent and perhaps simply not to my taste.

Haven't personally been to Little Fish. I've personally heard mixed reviews, the worst being from chef and restaurant manager friends, so I tend to give their opinions a little more weight. YMMV.

The secret I normally wouldn't reveal is sushi at Fuji on Rt. 130 North in Cinnaminson, NJ (856-829-5211). About a twenty minute ride from Center City. I had a phenomenal omakase dinner there about two weeks ago. Toro, half dozen kumamoto oysters, sea bream, eel tail, amberjack, spider rolls, unagi and a few other courses I can't remember. Truly phenomenally fresh. Came to about $65/person, but we were being gluttonous :blink: . Can certainly be done for less. You MUST make reservations for the sushi bar. Only six seats so it fills up fast. Service is not great in the dining room, and half the fun is watching Matt and his assistant do their artistic thing. It will still be a leisurely meal, but every morsel is worth the wait. The fish will simply melt in your mouth. Without par in the area. BYOB as well!

Have fun! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ok ok, I read the book. Thanks for all the reccs, we ended up with tuna from Reading Terminal, seared it med-rare and served w/ a citrus sauce & wasabi mashed potatoes.

kt

hiya, katie, been missing you.

Yes, Fuji is the greatest for fish of all kinds, but, sadly, it is not open on Mondays, so dont go then. Was just there yesterday, at Sushi Bar. Mat is the kind of chef who knows what his customers like and avoid, but also what he has served them before. My friend and I have been lunching at the Sushi Bar for years, and he still manages to amaze us with new treats. One dish was weird in a way, but oh so good. Included sea cucumbers, unusual tuna, and a sauce made from ground uni. Unreal.

hiya, katie, been missing you.

Been missing you too, girl! Where you been?? :hands on hips: Thought of you fondly and your absence was duly noted at last few DDC dinners. :smile:

Yes, Fuji is the greatest for fish of all kinds, but, sadly, it is not open on Mondays, so dont go then.

D'oh! I forgot! For some odd reason I had it in my head they were closed on an odd night like Wednesday, but I know that's not true because we had my birthday feast on a Wednesday, didn't we? What can I say. I'm easily confused. :wacko:

Hey Bashful, check out the thread for the upcoming Pig Roast road trip to Curdnerd's farm! Clickity Perhaps you'd like to join the Philly contingent for that drive? Should be a lot of fun! So far Herb, Gary, the Fentons, Lisa and BF, myself and a few others are committed to going. Let me know if it sounds like you want to join us.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Other places for seafood in Jersey--short drive from Center City:

Emerald Fish Co., Barclay Shopping Center on Route 70 in Cherry Hill

Superb!! Gourmet!! BYOB

Le Me Toujour: Route 73 in Evesham/Marlton

they are not seafood only, but the fish dishes (shellfish/or other) are superb!!!

Barnacle Ben's in Moorestown

simple, clean, cool decor, outdoor eating, large variety of fresh fish/shellfish in a large number of sauces. You tell them what you want & they'll do it! For example:

(tilapia in a mango/cilantro, red onion, red pepper sauce)