• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I haven't used my can opener for years. It's an OK no name Chinese brand from the local supermarket.

I might use one can a year but they all seem to be ring pull here these days. There is one product ("salmon" roe) I use a lot of which does come in a ring pull can from Russia but I've never been able to open the cans without resorting to pliers and a system of levers put together from screwdrivers etc. For some reason, probably stubbornness, I've never thought to open them with the can opener. Can't think where it is.

roe.jpg.69fe9d33dfcdb6bc7a4bdec27cc89e44.jpg

SalmonRoe.thumb.jpg.9318fc27e38334fd46c415633a470441.jpg

P.S. Just checked. All the cans I have: beans, sardines and the above roe are ring pull. There is one ancient can of tomatoes which would require the opener, but I usually use fresh tomatoes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I haven't used my can opener for years. It's an OK no name Chinese brand from the local supermarket.

I might use one can a year but they all seem to be ring pull here these days. There is one product (salmon roe) I use a lot of which does come in a ring pull can from Russia but I've never been able to open the cans without resorting to pliers and a system of levers put together from screwdrivers etc. For some reason, probably stubbornness, I've never thought to open them with the can opener. Can't think where it is.

P.S. Just checked. All the cans I have: beans, sardines and the above roe are ring pull. There is one ancient can of tomatoes which would require the opener, but I usually use fresh tomatoes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I might use one can a year but they all seem to be ring pull here these days. There is one product (salmon roe) I use a lot of which does come in a ring pull can from Russia but I've never been able to open the cans without resorting to pliers and a system of levers put together from screwdrivers etc. For some reason, probably stubbornness, I've never thought to open them with the can opener. Can't think where it is.