• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julian's

claire797

You know, I have been there.  I hardly remember it.

does that mean that the food is really really really okay?

not memorable enough to recommend and rave,

not horrible enough to count the ways in which they sucked?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The other places my friend asked me about are Rachel's Bistro and Sueno.  Ever heard of them?

We ate at Rachel's once, albeit a long time ago. I thought the food rather mediocre, and the seating was uncomfortably cramped.

Sueno is brand new. Mexican cuisine, I think. The chef is Sue Torres, formerly of the Rockinghorse Cafe and Hell's Kitchen (the restaurant). I have not been to either of those, but Torres' cooking has always been praised. Perhaps others have eaten her food and can speak from personal experience.

The other places my friend asked me about are Rachel's Bistro and Sueno.  Ever heard of them?

We ate at Rachel's once, albeit a long time ago. I thought the food rather mediocre, and the seating was uncomfortably cramped.

Sueno is brand new. Mexican cuisine, I think. The chef is Sue Torres, formerly of the Rockinghorse Cafe and Hell's Kitchen (the restaurant). I have not been to either of those, but Torres' cooking has always been praised. Perhaps others have eaten her food and can speak from personal experience.

Okay, I'll strike Rachel's from the list.

Thanks Roz!

You know, I have been there.  I hardly remember it.

does that mean that the food is really really really okay?

not memorable enough to recommend and rave,

not horrible enough to count the ways in which they sucked?

It was really really... um... what was I talking about? I'm sure it was fine. If I don't store it in my brain-file of complaints, it was probably good. Well, fine.

Have had brunch at Julian's a couple of times. Has always been pleasant, if not inspired. They did some nice crepes and such, a mascarpone stuffed something or other, nice pancakes, etc... not too out of the ordinary brunch food. Service was fine.

No idea about the savory side of the kitchen.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Claire, Maybe if you could tell us more precisely what your friend is looking for, i.e., type of cuisine, location, pre-theater, etc., we might be able to come up with some appropriate suggestions.

Julians is fine for a neighborhood restaurant. It has a nice garden and the food is light (mediterrianian) and not too expensive. I have been going there off and on since its a few blocks from my neighorhood.

anil

I ate there about two years ago. It was actually really good. Can't remember exactly all of the details, but i had lamb chops. We ate in the garden which was really nice.

I used to eat brunch at Julian's nearly every Sunday, and still drop in quite often. My patronage was largely due to the fact that one of my best friends lives around the corner, and it's nearly impossible to get him out of his neighborhood for a meal. Plus they have had a never-ending string of very attractive Eastern European waitresses (sorry if this offends anyone but, what the heck, we're single guys in NYC). Aside from the convenience and cute waitresses, I have come to like Julians for the following reasons:

- It is one of the few places on the Upper West/West side that doesn't require a wait or fight with the crowds for a decent Sunday brunch

- The prices are quite reasonable by NYC standards

- The waitstaff is generally friendly (though perhaps moreso because I eat there so often)

- The outdoor seating is pleasant when the weather permits

The food is nothing to write home about, but perfectly fine for the price point. My favorite dinner item is the lamb chops (mustard crusted with potatoes dauphinoise), which I find very satisfying. I also like the pasta with duck. My favorite breakfast item is a sort of scrambled egg casserole with three cheeses. They've recently changed the menu, so I'm not as familiar with the rest of it as I used to be.

I'd recommend Julian's to anyone in the neighborhood looking for a reliable and reasonable local dining spot, but wouldn't suggest that it's worth a trip from other parts of the city. It might also be useful as a pre-theater option when other more exciting places (i.e. Becco) are full.