• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoboken This Weekend

tippingvelvet

Going to head over to Hoboken this weekend.

Has anyone been to anyplace new or exciting lately?

Or anyplace stand out in your mind that you just

can't resist.

Thanks,

I've been to Amanda's, LaScala, Ali Baba, The Roof Top, Helmers, Baja. I guess I was looking for something on the casual side with good food. Thanks.

Edited by tippingvelvet (log)

I always have a good meal and some good beer at Helmers German restaurant. Food might be a bit too heavy for these warm days, however, a good beer and some Brats make a good decent summer dinner.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Helmer's is an institution. one of the few remaining old-school hoboken restaurants or bars. if the weather is mild enough, they open up the door and the outdoor seating (or indoor if you have a view of the sidewalk through the door) is quite fun. i'm not a big fan of this type of food, but i'd definitely characterize Helmer's as a good fun place.

I really like La Tartuferia. It is a casual atmosphere serving Italian food (but not your typical Italian food) and was rated very high in the new Zagat's (can't remember exactly what it was rated and don't have the book with me).

Susan

For what you're looking for, La Isla hits the mark dead on. It may actually be too casual, but the food that comes out of the kitchen is excellent! Limited seating of about 5 tables of 4 and 1 additional table of 2, but plenty of counter service.(you can wait for a table if you'd like, but just letting you know about the limited seating)

For Indain, Saffron is a new restaurant (and one of my favorite), although the service can get a bit 'iffy' when they're busy, which they are likley to be on a weekend nite (they're fairly new, and haven't worked out all the kinks just yet when they're busy)

I also like Margherita's for anything red sauce Italian, although it's a bit too 'amateurish' for some tastes on this board.

All the above are BYOB!

If you'd like more details about any of these (or others in town), feel free to ask.

I always have a good meal and some good beer at Helmers German restaurant.  Food might be a bit too heavy for these warm days, however, a good beer and some Brats make a good decent summer dinner.

I would TOTALLY eat there!

For what you're looking for, La Isla hits the mark dead on.

My favorite place to eat in Hoboken. I was a regular when I lived in Hoboken (1988-94), and the several times I've eaten there in the past few years it's only gotten better.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I also like Margherita's for anything red sauce Italian, although it's a bit too 'amateurish' for some tastes on this board.

don't worry. i still respect you. even though you like that horrible place. :biggrin:

eh, truth be told, their "chicken carol" is a dish that i tried to emulate many many times when i first got into cooking. and, by god, it's a decent enough dish. stock, garlic, sundried tomato, basil. can't get hurt there, as it's a crowd-pleaser. and their pizza is pretty damned good as well.

Edited by tommy (log)