• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trotter in NYC?

Fat Guy

Is there an ETA for the Time-Warner building? How soon after the building opens can we start to expect FL East and maybe Trotter's to open up/expect them to not be showing up in NY?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Is there an ETA for the Time-Warner building?  How soon after the building opens can we start to expect FL East and maybe Trotter's to open up/expect them to not be showing up in NY?

Thomas Keller was cooking on the CBS morning show a couple of weeks ago, and when he was asked about the opening of his NYC restaurant, he said it would be in November.

The tenants have no idea. The party line is late October or early November, but the decision gets made by the people building the place not by the restaurateurs. I've been in touch with the publicists and they're still saying late October, but we'll see.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

:huh:

Is that fall date for substantial completion of the building, FG, or for occupancy by tenants, or for retail openings? Those are potentially three very different dates, and I would imagine the buildouts for Keller and Trotter would be somewhat intricate even as restaurants go. That's before one even gets to the problems of getting permits and working with contractors in NYC.

:hmmm:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

It's the projected date for completion and opening of all the retail and food-service establishments in the part of the center called the Palladium. I don't know anything about when the offices and hotel and such will open. Since it's all new construction, though, it's not going to be too complicated to do restaurant kitchens, especially since they've spent about 10 years getting all the permits already.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've now heard the same bit of info about Trotter in the AOL Time Warner center from two additional sources, and FYI this is what Jay Weston wrote in his June newsletter:

"Chicago's great Charlie Trotter has snagged the last of the five large restaurant spaces at Manhattan's AOL Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle, joining Gray Kunz (opening Cafe Gray); Thomas Keller and his French Laundry; Jean-Georges Vongerichten's steak house; and our celebrated sushi chef from 2 Rodeo. It will be one of the most remarkable food centers in the world. And to think that I lived down the avenue for many years . . ."