• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: Two Names You Should Know

Fat Guy

Meet Eleonora Rossi and Marco Casolanetti.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

does anyone know if these wines are being imported into the States and ifso, by whom? The wine and the place sound exciting and maybe worth adetour to get there. The couple looks fairly young. Anyone know anything else of particular interest in the area.? It is probably one of the areas of Italy I am least familiar with.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

does anyone know if these wines are being imported into the States and ifso, by whom? The wine and the place sound exciting and maybe worth adetour to get there. The couple looks fairly young. Anyone know anything else of particular interest in the area.? It is probably one of the areas of Italy I am least familiar with.

I know this wine is available in NYC, LA and Chicago. Where are you located? It is imported by Vineyard Expressions in New York and Great Lakes in Chicago.

It is absolutely worth a detour to visit. There is also an excellent, and I mean REALLY good, osteria in Grottammare - just 15 minutes away - called Osteria dell'Arancio.

Marche, like Abruzzo, is a very beautiful place. In a 40 kilometer wide strip you have the Adriatic beaches, hills like Tuscany and mountains almost like the Alps. Both regions are home to some of the most interesting young chefs and wine makers and tourism is refreshingly light.

Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in upstate NY, north of Albany. I'm in the process of planning a trip primarily to Campania in early November with my 12y/o son. i'm primarily interested in culinary treats, geneologic connections and sightseeing. we are planning on finishing the trip in Venice, but this sounds like it may be worth a little detour. I would be very interested in any suggestions you may have re: gastrotourism a al Slow Food in those areas - perhaps you could PM me if you feel it is more appropriate. I had a fabulous trip to Sicily with Peggy Markel's Culinary Adventures last November. I brought my other older son (then 12) on that trip with great results. I find that Italy is a very kid friendly place - both the people and the food.

By the way, the article was again excellent as usual. Do you have any connection info regarding the people in the article?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in upstate NY, north of Albany. I'm in the process of planning a trip primarily to Campania in  early November with my 12y/o son. i'm primarily interested in culinary treats, geneologic connections and sightseeing. we are planning on finishing the trip in Venice, but this sounds like it may be worth a little detour. I would be very interested in any suggestions you may have re: gastrotourism a al Slow Food in those areas - perhaps you could PM me if you feel it is more appropriate. I had a fabulous trip to Sicily with Peggy Markel's Culinary Adventures last November. I brought my other older son (then 12) on that trip with great results. I find that Italy is a very kid friendly place - both the people and the food.

By the way, the article was again excellent as usual. Do you have any connection info regarding the people in the article?

Agriturismo Oasi degli Angeli: Via S.Egidio, Tel. 073 577 8569 FAX 83989

E-mail: marco.c@siscom.it

Their English is not great, but passable if you go slow.

I will try to give you a list of places in November. I took my teenagers (then 19 and 16) to Rimini in August for the discos (I went to bed) and then into the Marche for caves and such. As you going to Venezia I would recommend working your way right up the coast from the south - Puglia, Abruzzo, Marche, Romagna (Ravanna!) and then Venezia. Send me a PM on where you will arrive and how much time you have.

I know this wine is available in NYC, LA and Chicago. Where are you located? It is imported by Vineyard Expressions in New York and Great Lakes in Chicago.

Craig,

I've been enjoying the Rosso Conero wines from the Marche. I looked on the Vineyard Expression websiet and they only list their French products.

Where in NYC do they sell it?

My understanding is that PJ's in Manhattan stocks Kurni.

2 bottles of KURNI 2000 arrived yesterday from PJ's. Cost $54.99 per bottle. That qualified me for free del'y. I'll report back in about 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my first bottle of Kurni. Wow, that is one delicious wine. I too got the wine from PJ's. I bought the 2000 and had my first bottle tonight along with grilled beefalo steak, grilled farmer's market asparagus with EVOO and Parmagianno, simple potato salad and corn salad. First off, the wine is young, it was full of mouth-drying tannins. The fruit, however, was incredible, reminding me of an amarone more than anything else. The finish lasts for at least a minute. The color is a deep, dark and sensuous purple that I would prefer not to spill on a white tablecloth and the alcohol is 15% :smile: . It is an excellent bottle of wine, although I am looking forward to cellaring the rest of my bottles for a few years.

Twitter - @docsconz