• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delaware Joins Heathens

A huge percentage of the Delaware population lives within easy driving range of Maryland, which as the article points out. has Sunday sales. Many regularly shop across the border for all kinds of things. I'm shocked that it took them so long to realize that they are losing out on tax revenue. This from a state that collects a toll on every vehicle that passes through its tiny stretch of I-95.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

A huge percentage of the Delaware population lives within easy driving range of Maryland, which as the article points out. has Sunday sales.  Many regularly shop across the border for all kinds of things.  I'm shocked that it took them so long to realize that they are losing out on tax revenue.  This from a state that collects a toll on every vehicle that passes through its tiny stretch of I-95.

University of Delaware non-grad here 1987-1989...Sundays we'd pack into the one car in the frat house and run for the border. Fun memories.

A huge percentage of the Delaware population lives within easy driving range of Maryland, which as the article points out. has Sunday sales.  Many regularly shop across the border for all kinds of things.  I'm shocked that it took them so long to realize that they are losing out on tax revenue.  This from a state that collects a toll on every vehicle that passes through its tiny stretch of I-95.

University of Delaware non-grad here 1987-1989...Sundays we'd pack into the one car in the frat house and run for the border. Fun memories.

Shit Spencer, you didnt know my wife then, did you?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Shit Spencer, you didnt know my wife then, did you?

Uh....could have...was she in a sorority, where did she live?

I'm shocked that it took them so long to realize that they are losing out on tax revenue.  This from a state that collects a toll on every vehicle that passes through its tiny stretch of I-95.

Except there's NO sales tax in Delaware! :cool:

That's why a lot of Pennsylvanians will buy large purchases like appliances and automobiles just down the road in Delaware.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

All right, I've read the article, and it's fairly clear that liquor stores will be able to open on Sundays, which should be good for business. How does this affect area bars and restaurants?

And you're absolutely right, Katie, about Delaware not having a sales tax. That simple difference has helped fuel the state's economy for some time, from what I understand. The outlet malls in Rehoboth Beach regularly have charter busses driving in, filled with customers looking for bargains made even better by the lack of a sales tax. Some of those passengers seem to think it's a more fun-filled trip than one to Atlantic City! (And I tend to agree with them!)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

I'm shocked that it took them so long to realize that they are losing out on tax revenue.  This from a state that collects a toll on every vehicle that passes through its tiny stretch of I-95.

Except there's NO sales tax in Delaware! :cool:

But there is an excise tax of $3.75 per gallon built into the price of liquor. See here for details.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code