• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta Metro Area

robsimons

I've found "Knife & Fork," Christiane Lauterbach's newsletter, to be a great resource for both reviews and industry updates. Unfortulately, there's no website... but it's great.

My husband try to have a really nice dinner out at least twice a month - many of these have been covered, but here goes:

Canoe. We live in Vinings, so we love the proximity and consider it to be our Neighborhood Restaurant. Their food is fresh and consistent (which isn't always a bad thing) and they have an outstanding brunch. We had a Canou brunch streak going fo about eight Sundays in a row, at one point.

Bacchanalia. If dinner is intimidating, go for the lunch. It's much easier on the wallet and it's a similar experience.

Seegers. It was a true experience, but we won't be going back there. We're not ones to squirm at a high bill, but $500 for two people is a bit much - and we didn't even do the tasting menu!

MF Sushi. I love Soto, and all, but it has the atmosphere of an operating room. MF is sublime and I've never been there (or to Nam, the Brothers Kinjo's latest venture) and not had the owner personally come to my table to make sure everything is perfect.

Tamarind. Blows Thai Chili off the map.

Fritti. Yuuuuuuum. I'm going there tomorrow night, in fact.

Sotto Sotto. Their pasta is just so good. (Speaking of, I read somewhere that Bacchanalia gets their pasta from Via Elisa. Anyone else heard that?)

Oh...Maria. R.I.P., and only the Oh...Maria! from a couple of years ago - not the past year before it closed.

Aria. I'm torn on Aria. We had several wonderful experiences there, but the last one was just sorry, and it's too bad. They can be amazing when they want to be.

One Midtown Kitchen. I won't go there until they take reservations past 6.

Souper Jenny. I can't help it. I love that place.

Joel. I would kill to eat their grits every day. Go there if only for the grits. Seriously.

Nava. I know, it's Buckhead Life and all, but they do Southwestern really well.

Pano's and Paul's. I know - again with the Buckhead life. That place is much hipper than the hipsters believe - at 27 and 32, we're usually the youngest couple there - but it's hardly Johnny's Hideaway. They do an outstanding job - I've never had a meal there that wasn't perfect.

Jake's. It's just ice cream, but damn. It's good ice cream.

Euclid Avenue Yacht Club / The Highlander. It's like a showdown. EAYC has boiled peanuts, TH has pitchers of perfect tater tots. Both can vouch for the best bar food in Atlanta.

Fabiano's. It's owned by the Highlander people. They have the best Italian sandwiches in the city, they make their own mozzarella, and they have a solid Italian meat selection.