• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SARS rumor hurting Great Wall Mall....

On the Channel 5 news last night, there was a story about how an unfounded rumor about employees at the Great Wall Mall in Kent being infected with SARS has reduced business by 30%. Worse still, is that police now believe the rumor was started with malicious intent.

I know girl chow and I have talked some about this place and Imperial Palace, the excellent Chinese restaurant located there, in particular. So...if you're having an urge for Chinese food or shopping and are feeling up to a trek down south, I'm sure they could use the business. Hopefully the story being on the news will get things back on track.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm on my way there now for lunch right now (PHO!). They need your business, so head on down if you can. If anyone wants to meet there Monday or Tuesday for lunch, I'm in!

Read more here:

Great Wall SARS story by King County Journal

It's bogus that those kind of rumors are ruining business -- especially for such a great place. I also saw on the other CH site that a few people were posting that they're staying away from the International District because of SARS. Guess that means more bahm mi for the rest of us :biggrin:

Good things to eat and do at the Great Wall Shopping Mall: Pho, Thai/Cambodian food on the south side of the mall, great Chinese and dim sum at the Imperial Garden on the north side of the mall and a killer grocery store, 99 Ranch, in the center of the mall. They've also got a neat herb shop and tea store that rocks.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Maybe we should organize a lunch or dinner there to show our support.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 1 month later...

SARS rumors are also hurting Seattle's International District. There was also a story about it on the radio this morning.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/125...103_sars05.html

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.