• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in Everett

Ended up in Everett during lunchtime and spotted a BBQ joint on Pacific Ave. Brickhouse BBQ is a converted residence that does some ok BBQ. They use an unattached garage as a smokehouse and after inquiring I found out they use an alder wood fire.

I asked what their specialty was and they said ribs...looks like I was having ribs for lunch! I got an order of 4 pork ribs, green beans, corn bread, and baked beans.

Sauce- The ribs were almost smothered in their house sauce, which is pretty good I might add. They purport to have 22 ingredients in the sauce, which doesn't really matter, but I spose it is worth mentioning. It is a somewhat thick, chunky, light red sauce. Somewhat sweet, but not sickening.

Ribs- The flavor of the ribs was good, not exceptional. I would have wished for a smokier taste to them. They were overdone so they slid right off the bone. The bones were so overdone that they virtually disentegrated. I had an unplesant mouthfull of crunched bone to deal with at one point.

Green Beans- sitting in some water from the can they were in.

CornBread- good flavor, but a shade overcooked. The texture was great though.

Baked Beans- Very good, they had lots of bacon in them and more complexity to them than most baked beans.

Overall, I would not really go too far out of my way to check it out. If I was in the area, I would be there in a jiffy. One really cool thing was that they have a drive through window!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I've stopped here as well and sort of agree. For the PNW its ok BBQ, however I

wouldn't ever go back. On the whole I'd say that the BBQ in Seattle is not

good, and many are downright bad. For the record I've tried:

Pecos Pit

Dixie's BBQ

Uncle Willies Taste of Soul and Dixie BBQ

Backdoor BBQ

Armadillo

OK Corral

probably some other's too...

I grew up in Maryland where bbq chicken is king, and I've also had some good

bbq at roadside stands in new mexico, texas, oklahoma, and all over the deep

south. One of the best was in a little shack about 10 miles down a dirt road,

the guy making the bbq, Homer T. Hall, had been working there since he was 14

(he was now about 75) and had been using the same grill and smoker since he

started working there. All they served was ribs, whole or half slab, and it

came on top of 4 slices of wonder bread on a paper plate. They served budwiser

and coke. A paper towel roll served as napkins and there were no tables or

benches to sit on. You just leaned against a tree.

Where is that place out here???

Hal

Where is that place out here???

Hal

Starbucks bought the land right out from under him and put up a shop. :raz:

Actually, the folks in the NW don't know what good bbq is like folks in the South and consequently there isn't the hunger for it. So what ends up happening is you only get a few joints (only a few of which know how to bbq) and they get sporadic customers.

Low volume with uncertain demand = staging and holding the meat in steam trays = even worse bbq.

It's a vicious cycle.

Take Texas for granted, Kreuz's market will get 300 people on a weekend afternoon which means that every person gets meat fresh off the smoker.

Pecos Pit

Dixie's BBQ

Uncle Willies Taste of Soul and Dixie BBQ

Backdoor BBQ

Armadillo

OK Corral

probably some other's too...

From your list, I'm assuming that you haven't tried Jones BBQ on MLK? If not, its worth a trip, definitely the best I've had in Seattle, though that may not be saying a whole lot.

I believe Herr Klink told me he hadn't been there either, so it may be worth an organized expedition for lunch or an early dinner, if there's some interest.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

From your list, I'm assuming that you haven't tried Jones BBQ on MLK?  If not, its worth a trip, definitely the best I've had in Seattle, though that may not be say a whole lot.

I believe Herr Klink told me he hadn't been there either, so it may be worth an organized expedition for lunch or an early dinner, if there's some interest.

I'm in. :smile:

If you are into venturing a little further North, memphis Blues in vancouver makes phenomenal BBQ, southern style. And if that doesn't get your lips smacking for more, let me know and I will fire up my BBQ on the deck and feed you some Southern food goodies and secrets I brought back with me from my last trip through Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.

By the way, would you mind if a food lovin' Canuck ventured South to join y'all for the Jones' excursion?

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

My schedule is pretty busy but I always refer to the quote of "If you want to get something done, give it to a busy person."

mmmmmmm, S&V chips! So many brands, so little time. I will bring a collection. We can do a vertical of chips!

I'm in. I really like Jones BBQ.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

It's a really small hole-in-the-wall. I don't know how it would work for a big group to actually eat there. Maybe we could pick up a large order and take it to somebody's house?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

We're goin' international with this, baby, guess I hit a nerve...

I guess the key decisions are whether we want to do lunch or dinner and if should be weekday or weekend. Both have their advantages, but I imagine that more people would be able to make dinner. Thoughts?

I would probably vote for either a weekday dinner or weekend lunch. To get things rolling, here are my opening bids: dinner on the 30th or 7th or lunch on the 10th. I'm open to other proposals.....

Here's a link to their web page to whet your appetite: Link

MsRamsey's proposal to do it at someones house may be a good thought if the size of the group grows. I can tentatively offer up our place which is big enough and reasonably close to Jones.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

No nerves to hit at all actually, just a passion for good food and the company in which it is appreciated.

The 30th for dinner works for me, that way I can get a hotel and make it a get away from work! I will be in Montreal, Memphis, Chicago et al after that and will not be back in the area until late May.

Count me in. The 30th for dinner works fine for me. How nice of you Tighe to host us. ;-) Been awhile since I sampled some Q. Last was at Barbecoa up here on QA so it will be a good comparison. And it will be international!! We are so suave!

Born Free, Now Expensive