• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

really young lamb

Ok, so if you have issues about eating dead animals don't read this.

Ever since I bought some suckling lamb in Chicago from my favorite Italian grocery store around Easter, my mum has been reminding me of how good it was and how we really should do it again. It really is good, tender and lighter in color then older lamb, I cooked it the classical roman easter way and had carciofi romani along with it. Cosmic. It's not economical, you get a high bone to meat ratio, but the flavor is delicate and sweet and the texture is velvet.

Since she's close by now, and I know some sheep farmers, I thought it would be a good idea to give them a call and talk about suckling lamb. I talked to Dan of SuDan farms last weekend. He says he has lambs he can slaughter all year round right after they're weaned. I want one that's been eating new spring grasses, it really does make a difference in how they taste (the first eggs of spring from chickens have a similiar deal going). They're expensive, around 4.50 a lb and dressed weight for a whole one is around 40 lbs. I don't need a whole one, just a half. He'll sell me a half but then he has to take it to the packing plant and package up the other half. If I buy a whole one he can process it at the farm and take around .20 or .30 off / lb. The money doesn't make that much difference when you're talking about such a luxury item like this, but I thought other pdxers might be interested. I need to let him know which route I want to go by this weekend. He makes regular deliveries to Portland.

regards,

trillium

interestingly, my father just told me the story of the best lamb he ever had, which was in Rome in the 70s. It wasn't until after the meal (fortunately) that he was told that the lamb was removed from the mother prior to coming to full term.

I guess even vets will have to hire bodyguards in order to keep the pro-lifers at bay...

anyone know if this procedure is done in this country? just curious.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Funny timing. I just spoke with Dan today and ordered a whole lamb to pick up on April 23rd. I could share a bit of another lamb if anybody needed someone to go in with, or I can wait for my order. Whichever is better for others.

Neeley

I think in the Batali story in Gourmet it mentioned him holding a natal (is that the right word?) lamb.

Jim

I believe the word you're looking for is neonatal (before birth).

regards,

trillium

ps thanks for the edit...but I hope all this newfound power doesn't go to your head...

I think in the Batali story in Gourmet it mentioned him holding a natal (is that the right word?) lamb.

Jim

I believe the word you're looking for is neonatal (before birth).

regards,

trillium

ps thanks for the edit...but I hope all this newfound power doesn't go to your head...

Um...

Neonatal means newly born.

Natal means having to do with birth.

Prenatal is prior to birth.

signed,

Dave the Language Pedant

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Natal means having to do with birth.

Also, "perinatal." :biggrin:

Kathy

Perinatal Researcher

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

You know, I was sitting in a seminar thinking "wait a minute...I just wrote neonatal instead of prenatal" but it would have been rude to run out and correct myself.... I don't think the speaker would have appreciated it. So thanks Dave.

I can see it now, next there will be talk about at what embryonic stage prenatal lamb tastes best.

regards,

trillium