• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where is Morimoto?

robert brown

A sushi chef at Sushi Yasuda told me tonight that Morimoto was no longer showing up at the restaurant that bears his name, devoting his time instead to looking to open in NYC. Does anyone know anyting about this since I have a lunch reservation there tomorrow? What would be a good alternative regardless of price or cuisine? This is an emergency situation!!!!!

yea, i thought that was a problem when he decided to call it morimoto.

that he would be too closely tied to it by the customers.

alma de cuba is always called douglas rodriguez's place, yet i am pretty sure he is rarely there, probably at most once a week. i expect the #2 (jose garces?) to be holding things down day to day.

if you end up going anyway, tell us how it goes.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

In two thirds of a bazillion visits to various Nobu restaurants, I think I've seen Nobu once.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven, are you implying that Morimoto restaurant can do just fine if Morimoto stops giving it his attention or is spending his time in New York? When I asked the woman who picked up the phone if Morimoto would be working at lunch tomorrow, she said, "He sticks to his own schedule." Maybe the queston to ask is, is Steven Starr (his restaurateur partner) another Drew Nieporent?

Well, think of it this way: if you went to Nobu when Morimoto was the de facto chef there, you got a great meal. He represented Nobu as well as Nobu represented himself. And many would say Morimoto was really the number two guy after Shin. Likewise, if Morimoto has found his own Morimoto- or Shin-equivalent to run his place in Philly, then yes, everything should be fine. If not, not.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

yea, guess i should have added to my post.

i have no problem with him not being there if the food is up to snuff.

if not, more blame on him.

but i don't think many of the customers would feel the same.

they want to see him there b/c of that association.

just a matter of expectations, raised b/c of the hype and name choice.

unrealistic, but i think people have unrealistic expectations often.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.