• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

Could you have ordered hazelnut ice cream instead of vanilla, or else asked them to leave out the Kahlua? (I realize that last might not be possible, since they may make the affogato ahead. Or maybe alterations are frowned upon there.) At any rate, it all looks delicious and wonderful.

I'm intrigued by the watermelon with the tuna tartare. It seems as though watermelon is working its way into more savory applications -- watermelon and feta salad is another example -- than it used to. How did you like the combination?

I am sure I could have, but I decided that vanilla sounded better than hazelnut, so I was happy with my choice.

Watermelon and tuna has been a popular combination on Cape Cod for a few years now.  I am ok with it, but don't really see the point.  I know it's clever that they are the same color but have such completely different textures, but frankly I would rather just have all tuna.  Some restaurants on the Cape compress the watermelon to make it more firm, but I don't really think that is so great either.  I do love watermelon, feta, kalamata olive, mint, and red onion salad.

Yesterday was a pretty poor weather day.  We got over six inches of rain, and there was a lot of flooding. We all got a lot of reading done.  For dinner, we returned to Blu since we enjoyed our first meal there so much.  We should have just left it at that because the meal was problematic.  First off, they brought my sister the wrong cocktail, and it took over 20 minutes for the bar to replace it, which threw off the timing for the whole meal.  Then, no one could agree on appetizers.  That's our fault, I know!  Nephew wanted a sushi roll.  I didn't try it and am not sure what was in it

blusushi2.thumb.jpg.1e0b869bd562ea2fa2bcdd02f6a22679.jpg

I ordered a salad with watermelon, plums, and burrata (feta would have been better haha). It had bresaola on it too, but husband ate that part of it.

blusalad.thumb.jpg.a045c87b86265c2af85af5069fd687eb.jpg

sister wanted oysters Rockefeller

bluoysters.thumb.jpg.435ec6f5386ba540e3958dbe190481e6.jpg

and husband ordered a guinea chick lobster

bouguineachick.thumb.jpg.be0b03d84d6ac332944563a1f5de9b62.jpg

For entrees, nephew had lamb chops.  He very much enjoyed his meal.

blulamb.thumb.jpg.a61e5999853691037fc56a6eb6f4b867.jpg

sister had seafood fra diavolo with the shrimp omitted. She said the fish in it was woefully overcooked.

blufradiavoli.thumb.jpg.3733a6cf243d43c542f9341b6e9204ad.jpg

I had sole almondine. The fish was good. The potatoes with it were cold.

bluesole.thumb.jpg.34ce7b30f72a4c78be3bd87643a1cf16.jpg

Husband ordered carbonara.  This was a solid, gloppy mess.  I could not believe they served it. The server never came to check on us after the runner dropped the food so he did not have the opportunity to send it back within a reasonable window.  I shared my fish with him instead.

blucarbonara.thumb.jpg.d8c2c5310cb95e17164b02de85a66d1e.jpg

Nephew ordered a tiramisu for dessert

blutirmisu.thumb.jpg.5d1417eb9d3a3d2c67428cf9b2d56c0b.jpg

and the rest of us shared a lemon souffle, which was very delicious.

blulemonsouffle.thumb.jpg.86d4281f237f4814ad9a7795a33d01de.jpg

Not every meal can be a winner, I guess.  The weather is much better today, and I am sure our dinner will be too.  That said, we fly home tomorrow, and I am very much looking forward to home cooked food for a while.

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

Could you have ordered hazelnut ice cream instead of vanilla, or else asked them to leave out the Kahlua? (I realize that last might not be possible, since they may make the affogato ahead. Or maybe alterations are frowned upon there.) At any rate, it all looks delicious and wonderful.

I'm intrigued by the watermelon with the tuna tartare. It seems as though watermelon is working its way into more savory applications -- watermelon and feta salad is another example -- than it used to. How did you like the combination?

I am sure I could have, but I decided that vanilla sounded better than hazelnut, so I was happy with my choice.

Watermelon and tuna has been a popular combination on Cape Cod for a few years now.  I am ok with it, but don't really see the point.  I know it's clever that they are the same color but have such completely different textures, but frankly I would rather just have all tuna.  Some restaurants on the Cape compress the watermelon to make it more firm, but I don't really think that is so great either.  I do love watermelon, feta, kalamata olive, mint, and red onion salad.

Yesterday was a pretty poor weather day.  We got over six inches of rain, and there was a lot of flooding. We all got a lot of reading done.  For dinner, we returned to Blu since we enjoyed our first meal there so much.  We should have just left it at that because the meal was problematic.  First off, they brought my sister the wrong cocktail, and it took over 20 minutes for the bar to replace it, which threw off the timing for the whole meal.  Then, no one could agree on appetizers.  That's our fault, I know!  Nephew wanted a sushi roll.  I didn't try it and am not sure what was in it

blusushi2.thumb.jpg.1e0b869bd562ea2fa2bcdd02f6a22679.jpg

I ordered a salad with watermelon, plums, and burrata (feta would have been better haha). It had bresaola on it too, but husband ate that part of it.

blusalad.thumb.jpg.a045c87b86265c2af85af5069fd687eb.jpg

sister wanted oysters Rockefeller

bluoysters.thumb.jpg.435ec6f5386ba540e3958dbe190481e6.jpg

and husband ordered a guinea chick lobster

bouguineachick.thumb.jpg.be0b03d84d6ac332944563a1f5de9b62.jpg

For entrees, nephew had lamb chops.  He very much enjoyed his meal.

blulamb.thumb.jpg.a61e5999853691037fc56a6eb6f4b867.jpg

sister had seafood fra diavolo with the shrimp omitted. She said the fish in it was woefully overcooked.

blufradiavoli.thumb.jpg.3733a6cf243d43c542f9341b6e9204ad.jpg

I had sole almondine. The fish was good. The potatoes with it were cold.

bluesole.thumb.jpg.34ce7b30f72a4c78be3bd87643a1cf16.jpg

Husband ordered carbonara.  This was a solid, gloppy mess.  I could not believe they served it. The server never came to check on us after the runner dropped the food so he did not have the opportunity to send it back within a reasonable window.  I shared my fish with him instead.

blucarbonara.thumb.jpg.d8c2c5310cb95e17164b02de85a66d1e.jpg

Nephew ordered a tiramisu for dessert

blutirmisu.thumb.jpg.5d1417eb9d3a3d2c67428cf9b2d56c0b.jpg

and the rest of us shared a lemon souffle, which was very delicious.

blulemonsouffle.thumb.jpg.86d4281f237f4814ad9a7795a33d01de.jpg

Not every meal can be a winner, I guess.  The weather is much better today, and I am sure our dinner will be too.  That said, we fly home tomorrow, and I am very much looking forward to home cooked food for a while.

blu sushi.jpg