• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Cookery

Agree with that one too. More people young and old would likely be inclined to eat their vegetables (especially green leafy ones) if they had flavor and crunch like they do with Chinese techniques of cooking vegetables. The methods are so easy and are in most cases faster than American methods which results in brilliant color and retention of nutrients.

There's a great thread on favorites here: Green Chinese Vegetables

Many seafood restaurants here in Hong Kong have what's called lobster with cheese sauce. When I first heard of it several years ago, I thought it sounded disgusting but my (local) relatives insisted on ordering it. They were right - it's fab and we now always order it when we go out. It's a thick-ish sauce that coats the chopped-up lobster pieces, the sauce is quite subtly cheese flavoured so it doesn't overwhelm the sweetness of the lobster. It's always served over yee mien which are delicious with the sauce. When my mother back in the States (Monterey Park) asked me for some interesting dishes to order for a banquet for my father, I told her about this dish. She consulted with the chef and he cooked it for the banquet - my mother said it was delicious. It was the first time any of my family back home had tasted it.

I feel that the most important consideration in Chinese Seafood cooking is the utilization of Heat.

Chinese Wok Cook or truly Steam the majority of Seafood or other dishes.

In Hong Kong or China this is done with Stoves fired with Propane, or Kerosene that is elevated up to very intense heat. In the States it's with Natural Gas or Propaine with higher BTU Burners then used in reqular Restaurant Cooking.

The Chefs station is set up to expedite all necessary seasonings, codiments and flavors required to finish the dish quickly. Everything fired is made to order with the exceptions of some stocks, dumplings and soups.

Traditionally Shellfish are only Cooked to point then finished and served into a platter, cassarolles are prepared to order and served in the Clay or Metal Pots they are cooked in, directly to your table from the stove.

The closest to this type of service is generally only available at places where Sardines or other Fish are Grilled outside places in Spain or Portugel on hot coals as is the custom while you watch them being prepared.

Often, especially in Hong Kong there are Restaurants that specialize in Seafood where all the Fish and Shellfish are sold live to order by weight verified by the customers shown tableside. On Lantau Island there are waterfront stalls where the Seafood Choices are kept in live ocean tanks until you select your food for dinner where it will be delivered to the restaurant of your choice where they will cook your seafood to order as you request at a reasonable price.

Something we should also consider is that the NYC/East Coast preperation of Lobster Cantonese is rarely available anywhere else. It's unknown in Hong Kong and when ordered in Seattle it's not comparable to what's served in New York except when I have with me Chinese friends familiar with the dish who attempt to explain the preperation to the chefs but still it's only so The only place that I am able to enjoy this is at home when I set up to cook it correctly.

Irwin :unsure:

the difference in wok heat cannot be stressed enough.

i would say the difference in temperature between the home kitchen and chinese restaurant kitchen is probably between 50 and 100.

what the hell is lobster cantonese?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.