• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegman's

carrie

I'd say Downingtown will eventually be the closest location, when it opens later in 2003. Until then Princeton and Allentown are about the same distance from Center City. There's a store finder with addresses on the website.

The article about Downingtown says Wegmans bought "several" sites from the defunct hardware chain Hechinger's, which might speak well to Maryland and Virginia future locations

The Wegmans website has an article about Wegmans and students from the Philadelphia Culinary school cooking at James Beard house.

Wegmans

edited to clarify Downington status: open as a drugstore, full service store to follow

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

And word yet about the status of the Woodbridge, NJ Wegmans on outer Green Street, I believe it was?

Construction has begun, there's a sign and a hole in the ground, which now has an abundance of snow in it. Looks like they're moving along, though not very quickly.

The huge Shop-Rite down the street is doing exceptionally well, by most accounts.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

to the question of "is it worth it?" I'd offer unqualified praise. You may find speciality stores that handle some niche better, and you can find supermarkets that might beat them on price, but I've yet to find a supermarket that does the many things that they do as well as they do. Shopping there is an experience that I anticipate with joy every week. Granted, I don't have much of a life, but hey ...

We live in Rochester, NY (Wegman's homebase), but this is more than adopted hometown pride talking ... We seem to get there with most of our out-of-town visitors, and they all tend to rave about it. For some, it may be the only reason they visit, but that gets back to me being the kind of guy that reacts with joy to supermarket shopping ...

Finally, I can honestly say that the worst experience I've ever had with a Wegman's employee - at any level - has been "OK." From there it only gets better, and some of their people have done some outstanding things. Conversely, the best experience I've had most other places has crummy ...

but I've yet to find a supermarket that does the many things that they do as well as they do.  Shopping there is an experience that I anticipate with joy every week.

Other than Wegmans, my most satisfying experience in a supermarket after age 16 was in a Fiesta market in Houston TX.

Baskets of peppers, an abundance of colorful produce, smells of tortillas cooking, a rainbow of colors and spices, almost erotic in impact...

Each Wegmans is different in appearance, design, etc, but has a very friendly, helpful, embrace to the customer. It's hard to explain, but there's a very real sense of passion for good food, nicely presented

rancho gordo

I was born and raised in Scranton, PA and my Mother lived there her entire life. The Wegman's that opened in Clarks Summit (just outside Scrantont) was a revelation to her and so many others that loved food.

Being a New Yorker for quite some time - Wegman's was the only place I would shop when visiting with and cooking for Mom. I think you'll be very surprised when you get there - it's a great market. However, not the same experience as Reading Terminal in Philly (I'll save Philly stories for another day...).

• 3 weeks later...

brand new to boards - so this reply is a little late, but I would say that the Wegman's in Princeton, NJ is the closest.

Is on Route 1

And if you don't want to eat lunch at the food court (why wouldn't you) - you can always stop at Mastori's diner - only about 10 minutes away.