• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Next up was Robert Lambert Pear Ginger jam. I picked this one based on the interesting mix of flavors:

To amplify the subtle flavor of pear I first brew an infusion of Chardonnay wine, pear nectar, Meyer lemon juice and Champagne vinegar with Mexican cinnamon, vanilla beans, cardamom pods, lemon verbena, champagne geranium and dried pears. This base joins grated ripe Bartlett pears, brown sugar, Meyer lemon zest, Pear William eau-de-vie, young ginger juice and my own Membrillo and Candied Young Ginger.

So texture-wise, it doesn't really look like jam but rather like a thick opaque jelly. I suppose the pear is pureed because there are no pieces of fruit in there. It's really heavy in pectin and doesn't flow at all. Taste-wise, it is ok, like a very spiced pear flavor with undertones of vinegar. I prefer flavors that accent rather than flavors that almost mask the fruit, so this wasn't quite to my liking... Maybe I should have picked a different flavor!

Robert Lambert pear ginger jam

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Next up was Robert Lambert Pear Ginger jam. I picked this one based on the interesting mix of flavors:

To amplify the subtle flavor of pear I first brew an infusion of Chardonnay wine, pear nectar, Meyer lemon juice and Champagne vinegar with Mexican cinnamon, vanilla beans, cardamom pods, lemon verbena, champagne geranium and dried pears. This base joins grated ripe Bartlett pears, brown sugar, Meyer lemon zest, Pear William eau-de-vie, young ginger juice and my own Membrillo and Candied Young Ginger.

So texture-wise, it doesn't really look like jam but rather like a thick opaque jelly. I suppose the pear is pureed because there are no pieces of fruit in there. It's really heavy in pectin and doesn't flow at all. Taste-wise, it is ok, like a very spiced pear flavor with undertones of vinegar. I prefer flavors that accent rather than flavors that almost mask the fruit, so this wasn't quite to my liking... Maybe I should have picked a different flavor!

Robert Lambert pear ginger jam