• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Struggling Bamix

Our 3 year-old Bamix M150 is having some problems that I can't figure out. This is one of the smaller ones; we use it mostly for emulsions, blending small amounts of batter, light whipping etc.

It seems to run more slowly than it used to, and the pitch of the motor goes up and down. It generates a lot of heat in the shaft right above the head. Running it dry, I measured it at around 120°F with an IR thermometer.

The obvious guess was that gunk had gotten in there, so it needed to be cleaned and lubed. I took the whole thing apart. Aside from a little old food right at end of the shaft, it looked pristine inside. It also looked very well designed and built, with a serious motor. I cleaned the shaft, lubed it with silicone oil, put it together, and checked to see that everything spun free and silky-smooth.  

I plugged it in and  ... no change at all. Motor speed still varies. End of shaft still gets hot.

Any ideas?

• Sad 3

Notes from the underbelly

https://bamix.us/pages/about-bamix

https://bamix.us/pages/contact

This is the leading info from my browser, but I didn't see it on the link:

"Do not open the unit yourself or you will void the warranty. We have a Certified Repair Service in the United States. The great advantage of the bamix® is of course its sustainability. Our equipment can still be repaired and in most cases for less than $50. Write to our customer service via the contact form so"

Edited by TdeV
More to say (log)
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Any ideas?

Welcome to the club.  I think you're probably right that food gunk is the culprit.  And based on my similar experience, it's probably at or near the head.  Maybe there's some age- hardening of oil at the motor end, though.

I have only two suggestions if you've already opened the shaft sleeve:  (1) an ultrasonic cleaner; or (2) an immersible cleaning solution such as Dunk-It, sold for cleaning guns without disassembly.

You might also try lubricating the shaft bearings with food-safe grease, and /or backing off the fasteners that might be binding the shaft from turning freely.

Good luck.

Edited by Laurentius (log)

It could be something with the motor itself, the motor controller, or a capacitor - if you have access to the control board in it, see if any capacitors may be inflated.

That said, I had unusual speed and heat issues with my 10+ year old unit and discovered the outlet and/or circuit was problematic.  My unit worked great once I plugged it in elsewhere on a different circuit (i.e. routed to a different breaker).  i.e. try a different outlet that is separate from the one you typically use?

Of course, the suggestion to send it in to Bamix may be good, too :) I probably would do that with mine since I have a long-shafted one.

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Like 1

The symptoms do suggest gunk at the food end, but I cleaned it and oiled it well, and it spins easily in my fingers. 

There could be a motor problem. But that wouldn't explain it heating up at the head.

Maybe heating at the head is normal, and is unrelated to the speed issues? If that's the case it could also be the circuit board. 

I might have to give Bamix a call.  In the mean time, it's usable. Just not its amazing old self. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 8/14/2024 at 4:40 PM, paulraphael said:

Maybe heating at the head is normal, and is unrelated to the speed issues? If that's the case it could also be the circuit board. 

Yeah, who knows?

I'm enough of a Bamix fan that I'd hazard the cost of a lesser brand/model on repairing or replacing with another Bamix.

Also, FWIW, I've tried repairing electric motor-powered stuff enough to know that shafts can "spin easily" and still put a drag on the motor.

Good luck.

• Like 1