• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

This is a single clove style of garlic I've never seen before.  I believe @liuzhou uses it a lot.

I do indeed; in fact almost exclusively. I'm never without it, but then I use a lot of garlic.

singleheadgarlic1.thumb.jpg.48def94697c50d7ee7d54257511cbdbc.jpg

Known as 独蒜 (dú suàn - literally 'alone garlic'), it is, I'm told, native to Yunnan province, but widely grown in Sichuan and elsewhere today. It ís easy to peel and for me one bulb = one clove is (usually) the perfect amount for one dish.

It is becoming easy to find in the west, I've heard. I remember @Anna N saying she had found it in Canada and I've seen it in London's Chinatown.

P.S. It makes excellent black garlic, too.

blacksingle-headedgarlic.thumb.jpg.06e05c435f71fa1dedb71ae9925466a5.jpg

Reserve me a room in that supermarket, too please! Thanks for the detailed account. Fascinating.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

This is a single clove style of garlic I've never seen before.  I believe @liuzhou uses it a lot.

I do indeed; in fact almost exclusively. I'm never without it, but then I use a lot of garlic.

singleheadgarlic1.thumb.jpg.48def94697c50d7ee7d54257511cbdbc.jpg

Known as 独蒜 (dú suàn - literally 'alone garlic), it is, I'm told, native to Yunnan province, but widely grown in Sichuan and elsewhere today. It ís easy to peel and for me one bulb = one clove is (usually) the perfect amount for one dish.

It is becoming easy to find in the west, I've heard. I remember @Anna N saying she had found it in Canada and I've seen it in London's Chinatown.

P.S. It makes excellent black garlic, too.

blacksingle-headedgarlic.thumb.jpg.06e05c435f71fa1dedb71ae9925466a5.jpg

Reserve me a room in that supermarket, too please! Thanks for the detailed account. Fascinating.