• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rakott csülök – Hungarian Layered pork shank

A work colleague has recently returned from visiting his family in Budapest and brought me back some Hungarian paprika, both sweet and hot.

During our discussions on his visit he mentioned that whilst there he ate the Hungarian version of Germany’s legendary Schweinshaxe, (which doesn’t use any paprika in its preparation). He also mentioned a dish called Rakott csülök, which is pork shank layered with vegetables and possibly rice.

Having never heard of the dish it piqued my curiosity; I believe from his description that it is the shredded meat from a cooked shank which is layered before being cooked again. I have found only one reference to it online and that is behind a fairly hefty paywall.

Is anyone else on the thread familiar with this dish and able to provide a more detailed description? Or, more importantly, does anyone have a tried and trusted recipe for this dish?

Now I’ve heard of it I won’t rest until I know a little more about the ingredients of the recipe and, if it still appeals, have cooked it. His mention of Schweinshaxe reminds me I haven’t eaten this in over five years so I will have to cook it, either Bavarian or Hungarian style, and may as well cook extra in order to make the Rakott csülök.