• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

There'll always be a France

Alex

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

Posted (edited)

you know....  I wonder about that . . .

not too long back French bakers were very upset with the cheap machine produced baguettes - the mass produced low price threatened their business... because . . . yes, people are price sensitive.

that sort of thing happened in USA long long time ago - today there are very very few local bakeries - it's all mass produced in a cello wrap inside a LDPE bag . . . . 

we have one, exactly one, European immigrant still doing a patisserie type business - no bread, just really good (and really expensive) pastries.

anytime I drive by I stop and buy - stuff I should not be eating . . but I want to support that business . . .

went to school in Germany in the mid-60's.  went back, with family & dog, for a multi-year 'foreign assignment' in the 80's. 

the changes from butcher-baker-candlestick maker 'small shop' to chain "everything" set one abashed.  

visiting friends/etc 90's-2000's weekends (during business trips....) shopping was still 4-5-6+ shops on 'long Saturdays' - really, it was one shop for "toast bread" and a different shop for Broetchen, and . . .

and it only got worse up thru the 2020's . . .

hardly any small artisan shops/products remained - those that remained shifted from 'own products' to vacuum sealed sold in plastic 'massed produced' offerings.

we've lost a lot - but "progress" just does not give a hoot . . .

Edited by AlaMoi (log)