• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

That's starting here too.  This place opened recently in my neighborhood.  When I pass it by, there's consistently a line out the door of young Chinese people - most likely students at NYU (New York University, which has a lot of Chinese national students for some reason).

Yes, I'd heard, not of that specific place, but that it was making an appearance internationally. It has turned up in London, too.

The article you link to gives a good description of the dish and experience, but seems to imply that this is something new. It may be new to NYC, but it's been a thing for in China for at least twenty years here, just recently going viral.

Same thing though with Luosifen. People though it was new, although it had been around for decades.. It went insane in 2020 with Covid. The inferior, packaged version became China's biggest seling "instant noodle" product overnight, then when all the restrictions were over the masses wanted to travel here to try the real thing. I get that. It's the ones who come not to like it and say so in their dumb videos that I don't get.

By the way the translation of 楊國福 (yáng guó fú) they give as "Lucky Northern China" is nonsense. It's someone's name (in traditional characters). Probably male and born between 1966 and 1976. 

liuzhou

liuzhou

That's starting here too.  This place opened recently in my neighborhood.  When I pass it by, there's consistently a line out the door of young Chinese people - most likely students at NYU (New York University, which has a lot of Chinese national students for some reason).

Yes, I'd heard, not of that specific place, but that it was making an appearance internationally. It has turned up in London, too.

The article you link to gives a good description of the dish and experience, but seems to imply that this is something new. It may be new to NYC, but it's been a thing for in China for at least twenty years here, just recently going viral.

Same thing though with Luosifen. People though it was new, although it had been around for decades.. It went insane in 2020 with Covid. The inferior, packaged version became China's biggest seling "instant noodle" product overnight, then when all the restrictions were over the masses wanted to travel here to try the real thing. I get that. It's the ones who come not to like it and say so in their dumb videos that I don't get.

By the way the translation of 楊國福 (yáng guó fú) they give as "Lucky Northern China" is nonsense. It's someone's name (in traditional characters).

liuzhou

liuzhou

By the way the translation of 楊國福 (yáng guó fú) they give as "Lucky Northern China" is nonsense. Ut's someone's name (in traditional characters).

liuzhou

liuzhou

By the way the translation of 楊國福 (yáng guó fú) they give as "Lucky Northern China" is nonsense. it's someone's name!

liuzhou

liuzhou

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Same thing though with Luosifen. People though it was new, although it had been around for decades.. It went insane in 2020 with Covid. The inferior packaged version became China's biggest seling "instant noodle" product overnight, then when all the restrictions were over the masses wanted to travel here to try the real thing. I get that. It's the ones who come not to like it and say so in their dumb videos that I don't get.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The article you link to gives a good description of thedish and experience, but seems to imply that this is something new. It may be new to NYC, but it's been a thing for at least twenty years here, just recently going viral. Smathing though with Luosifen. It went insane in 2020 with Covid. The inferior packaged version became China's biggest seling "instant noodle" product overnight, then when all the restrictions were over the masses wanted to travel here to try the real thing. I get that. It's the ones who come not to like it and say so in their dumb videos that I don't get.