• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coling Unit for a wine cellar

bctraveller

We are building a wine cellar in our Vancouver, BC condo. I am looking for advice on a cooling unit. We need to vent it to the outside, not another room. As we are converting an extra bathroom to this higher purpose, the fan duct to the roof is available (and we are on the top floor). If we use a split unit, we will go through extra cost and the grief of strata approval. The room will be aproximately 60 square feet, with a 7 foot ceiling.

Being an experienced procrastinator, the contractor is beating on me to provide the cooling unit specifications immediately.

It will be several days before I beg for info on racking. Be warned!

Thanks.

Does this room have any windows? Based on your question, I'm guessing it doesn't - but if it does, a simple window air conditioner could be a great solution for a room that size. One of the most obsessive collectors I know has used a set-up like that for years with great success. Having gone through three or four expensive cooling units since the last time he replaced his $300 window unit, I am quite jealous.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Have you considered instead buying a self-contained unit- fridge-like type coolers?

Some of them even have 2 compartments for red and white wine controls.

Am sure you know that humidity levels are as important as temperature when building your own cellar.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Does this room have any windows?  Based on your question, I'm guessing it doesn't - but if it does, a simple window air conditioner could be a great solution for a room that size.  One of the most obsessive collectors I know has used a set-up like that for years with great success.  Having gone through three or four expensive cooling units since the last time he replaced his $300 window unit, I am quite jealous.

Good luck!

This seems like it would be difficult in winter climates...assuming you have central heating in the house, even if you turn the vent or fan in the converted room off, the room might get too warm..or too cold. If its too cold, you can open the door and let some heat in, if its too warm you will not be able to run a window unit in the freezing temps...I would imagine a system like this would demand constant monitering with variable results.

edited to add that the unit we have says Breezaire, my husband made all the decisions regarding the cellar so I can't contribute much besides the name.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I have two large Eurocave side by side units...they keep the wine at the proper temp...but, it is an absolute nightmare to "dig out" a bottle that is not on one of the pull out shelves (on which you can only store 13 bottles-the stationary shelves hold 72 bottles-and it is always one of the ones on the bottom row in the back that you want to find :wacko: )...

bctraveller...perhaps you could do a diary (or an occasional report) on the building of your cellar like the Perlows did with their kitchen remodel. I know I would like to hear how it goes (since I am considering adding one to my house and would appreciate any help avoiding whatever pitfalls you notice).

The first thing I would recomend is you have the room well insulated. I agree that an air conditioner is the way to go. Refrigeration units are not designed to cool rooms to 55 degrees. In Vancouvers mild climate you may find that a well insulated room seldom needs extra cooling. I built my self a well insulated room in my house with 2 below ground walls and 2 walls touching other rooms. This room fluctuates between 55 and 65 degrees. This change in temperature occurs very slowly. In ten years I have found no ullage in any of my bottles.

Check out the wine room at the Cambie and 39th LDB store. It seems a little too cold to me. Perhaps they will let you see their reefer unit.

I think that the more passive you can make your wines environment the happier your wine will be.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

See also:

'http://www.wineloverspage.com/cellar.shtml

and Gold's Book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Edit: Hmmm, I haven't done this right, I'll have to come back later and fix it.

Got the Garr thing right, but can't seem to do the Amazon thing on Gold. Have a look at:

How and Why to Build a Wine Cellar 3rd Ed.

by Richard M. Gold Ph.D.

Edited by SFJoe (log)