• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experiencing Seattle

I feel like a stranger in my own city. I've lived here for a couple of years now, but travelling for a living has left me finding myself the unusual predicament of not truly knowing Seattle. While I've been blessed to have tried many great restaurants outside of Seattle I have yet to explore all it has to offer. I've been able to travel a bit less in the last few months and got to take full advantage of the 25 for $25 promotion which left me even more interested in the culinary venues of this wonderful city.

Help me rediscover Seattle.

What are your favorite places to dine at and why?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

OK, before everyone piles on with the Le Pichet posts (yes, it is wonderful) I would just like to mention one of my favorite places that doesn't seem to get much attention: the Capitol Club in my neighborhood, Capitol Hill. Fun, funky and romantic Moroccan decor; creative menu fusing Moroccan, Spanish, Italian, and French; very reasonable prices; and a willing bartender. The upstairs bar is a great hangout - very comfy and a veranda overlooking Pine Street.

Check it out here: The Capitol Club

Happy hour specials are served from 5:00 to 7:00 pm daily. Happy Hour menu here.

By the way, a useful guide for both visitors and locals is Best Places Seattle.

I love the Capitol Club! I just wish I could afford to eat/drink there more often.

Random places I like:

Madame K's in Ballard. Warm, red-velveted pizza place (21+ only) with a not-overly-cute brothel theme. Serves up great pies, plus this Artichoke Dip to die for. Salads are uninspired but fresh, and the Garlic Bread is thick ropes of pizza dough scented with rosemary and served with a big bowl of marinara. There's only one dessert - "The Orgasm", consisting of a warm homemade chocolate chip cookie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. CitySearch's reviews would reflect a service issue, but I don't mind playing by their rules (no cell phones, parties seated only when all are present) and as a result, have always been treated splendidly. They also make a damn fine Berry Sangria.

JaK's Grill in West Seattle. Neighborhood steakhouse without all the theater of your El Gauchos and such, at half the price (maybe even less.) Your choice of fabulous Smashed Potatoes or Potato Pancakes, and steamed veggies in butter, as well as a simple, well-dressed salad are included in the price of each meal. Steaks of every persuasion (Delmonico, Mignon, NY, whathaveyou) are impeccable, but for those not into red meat, there is also a damn fine stuffed pork chop and several well-executed seafood specials. Service is friendly and down-to-earth. Good wine list, good bartender, nice space. Boy and I can have dinner and wine for less than $60.

Matt's in the Market in Pike Place. Sorry if this one's obvious, but it's just about my favorite restaurant, period. They call it northwest seafood with a cajun influence, but I just call it great. An extremely intimate setting, the place only seats about 25? For lunch you've got oyster and catfish po'boys and this amazing marinated anchovy salad with preserved lemon. For dinner, there's shellfish (clams piri piri!) to start, salmon and the like for entree and beautiful desserts of bourbon bread pudding and pot de creme. Thoughtful wine list, equally thoughtful suggestions from staff. Great view of the Market fron the window tables, or a great view of the cooking from the bar. Extremely respectful treatment of their ingredients - and they run it all in a "kitchen" the size of my bathtub. Getting a table can be a little bit frustrating, in the "we don't take reservations/except when we do" sort of way, but I think it's worth the trouble.

Glo's and Green Cat Cafe on Capitol Hill. Two different breakfast options within a three-block radius on the west slope of the Hill. Glo's is a tiny diner serving up big beautiful breakfasts (orange poppy pancakes! huckleberry waffles!) with a line out the door. Sometimes Boy and I get up before 8 on a Saturday to get a table before the masses arrive to put their name on the list, and drink coffee on the sidewalk while waiting their turn for big plates of eggs, bacon, hash browns and damn fine coffee. I don't know about you, but I like my breakfast cooks covered in tattoos.

And on that note, you have the Green Cat, a vegetarian cafe offering breakfast and lunch (they close at 5, I think), along with coffee and pastry to go. I usually have a huge plate of roasted potatoes smothered with cheddar, salsa, and sour cream. Like having nachos for breakfast, although last time I ate there my potatoes could have used another five minutes in the oven. Boy has the Huevos Rancheros and everytime "can't believe he's eating in a vegetarian joint". Also available are tofu and egg scrambles, fruit, yoghurt, granola. At lunch they make a mean black bean chili and I've had some nice polenta there as well. Service is okay, but wonky - a combination of counter and table service depending on the staff's mood. When the weather cooperates, there's a table or two on the sidewalk.

God, I could go on like this forever. Y'all be sick of me in no time.

Matt's in the Market in Pike Place.  Sorry if this one's obvious, but it's just about my favorite restaurant, period.  ......................................................Extremely respectful treatment of their ingredients - and they run it all in a "kitchen" the size of my bathtub.

With the exception of the places featured in the 25 for $25 promotion even some of the obvious places are unknown to me. I haven't benn to Matt's in the Market yet, but hope to try it soon.

Oh, and how big is your bathtub? :wink: (insert somewhat envious smiley here)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Has anyone been to Rover's? I haven't seen it mentioned on the site and am wondering what members' impressions are.

How about Teatro Zinzanni? Has anyone partaken in this "dinner & dreams" form of dinner and entertainment?

Has anyone been to Rover's? I haven't seen it mentioned on the site and am wondering what members' impressions are.

How about Teatro Zinzanni? Has anyone partaken in this "dinner & dreams" form of dinner and entertainment?

Haven't been to Rover's, but it's very high on my list - maybe even next.

I went to the first production of Teatro Zinzanni a couple years ago and LOVED it. The food was better than expected, but not really memorable. The entertainment, on the other hand, was worth every penny of the admission fee. A completely unique experience. It has elements of Cirque de Soleil, but far more intimate and spontaneous.

Scrat and I have been to Rover's a couple of times. There's no doubt that the food is fabulous, but it is definately pricey. I would avoid any special events; we went for New Year's Eve one year, and as great as it was, it wasn't worth the price.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Been to Rover's several times. Its fantastic. I've had some amazing food there. If the 9 course scares you, just do the 5 course, and have your date get the *other* 5 course and that way you get to taste 10 dishes ;-) There might be cross over on some dishes however.

I went to the first Zinzanni. It was entertaining and fun, like NSM says food was better than expected, and while I'm glad I went, I can't say its an experience I'd repeat. Its so crazily expensive now too.

Born Free, Now Expensive

What is all the fuss about Rover's? The menu is tired and uninspiring. I give the Chef a lot of credit for helping to introduce Seattle diners to "real" food, but he is no Pierre Gagniere or Guy Savoy. In my humble opinion, Rover's is not worth the hype or the price. And be prepared to go to McD's to fill up afterwards.

Speaking of "Matt's in the Market," how about that string of little deli's right across the street?

In particular, the Russian one.

Or is it not still there??

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ah Yes the Russian Bakery Piroshky-Piroshky! It's still there. Their green onion and cheese rolls are terrific! My sister and always try to eat something else when we go there but we always just end up ordering one green onion roll each. We were awful was and shared--well I'll just say more than two--in one sitting. One thing we would really like to try are the Apple Cinnamon Rolls. When they are making them fresh, you can walk by the shop and get a whiff of the a heady, fragrant smell of the cinnamon, yeast dough, and the sliced apples that they stuff them with.

Glo's and Green Cat Cafe on Capitol Hill.  Two different breakfast options within a three-block radius on the west slope of the Hill.  Glo's is a tiny diner serving up big beautiful breakfasts (orange poppy pancakes! huckleberry waffles!) with a line out the door.  Sometimes Boy and I get up before 8 on a Saturday to get a table before the masses arrive to put their name on the list, and drink coffee on the sidewalk while waiting their turn for big plates of eggs, bacon, hash browns and damn fine coffee.  I don't know about you, but I like my breakfast cooks covered in tattoos.

I tried Glo's once and was entirely underwhelmed. Tried it again, and was even less impressed - I found the food to be thoroughly ordinary. What is it that everyone sees in that place ?

Now, El Greco on Broadway, THEY serve kick-ass brunch on the weekends. Always delicious, and lacking the attitude and mega-wait at Glo's.

- S

El Greco on Broadway, THEY serve kick-ass brunch on the weekends.  Always delicious, and lacking the attitude and mega-wait at Glo's.

- S

Could you elaborate on the brunch? Is it buffet style or sit down?

There are actually two Russian bakeries right there, the piroshky place and Yarmarka. We recently had Yarmarka cater a party at work, and they went all out--several types of pelmeni and piroshkies, salads (lots of beets), and fresh fruit and vegetable trays from the market. Everything was good, and the price was jaw-droppingly low. I particularly like the pelmeni.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

There are actually two Russian bakeries right there, the piroshky place and Yarmarka.

When I visit Seattle, I usually stay at the Inn at the Market. One of the very best things about that hotel is how adorable its rooms look when decorated with lots of items from those bakeries.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

El Greco on Broadway, THEY serve kick-ass brunch on the weekends.  Always delicious, and lacking the attitude and mega-wait at Glo's.

Could you elaborate on the brunch? Is it buffet style or sit down?

Sit down, ala carte. Examples: interesting eggs (e.g. goat cheese and herb omlette), the best French toast that exists, fruit smoothies, weekly pancake and frittata specials, etc etc etc.

We just got back from a lovely brunch there.

- S

I tried Glo's once and was entirely underwhelmed.  Tried it again, and was even less impressed - I found the food to be thoroughly ordinary.  What is it that everyone sees in that place ?

Now, El Greco on Broadway, THEY serve kick-ass brunch on the weekends.  Always delicious, and lacking the attitude and mega-wait at Glo's.

- S

I completely disagree with you on Glo's food. They only do breakfast, and I think it's a notch above most places. Even their scrambled eggs are more delicious than anywhere else. I'd like to know how they do that! It's practically across the street from me and I've been there many times in the last 6 years. THAT SAID, if you don't go very early in the morning, you're out of luck. I think it's insane how long people will wait to eat there when yes, El Greco, is right up the street. I'm sure there are people who have a 3- to 4-hour breakfast experience at Glo's on Sunday.

El Greco has well-crafted, classy breakfasts. They don't believe in the giant farmer breakfast. You will be sated but not stuffed when you leave. The service is just okay, certainly not stellar, and always has been. They have very good coffee.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm sure someone has already thought of suggesting the Harvest Vine. Great Basque tapas. Also I second all recomendations for Le Pichet.

When in Seattle Coop and Mrs Coop like to stay at the Vintage Park. Check out thier evening wine tasting. Some times they actually have wine makers with unusual bottles. Like Mike Hogue (with 95 reserve Cabernet) or Kay Simons from Chinnook.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I tried Glo's once and was entirely underwhelmed.  Tried it again, and was even less impressed - I found the food to be thoroughly ordinary.  What is it that everyone sees in that place ?

Now, El Greco on Broadway, THEY serve kick-ass brunch on the weekends.  Always delicious, and lacking the attitude and mega-wait at Glo's.

- S

I completely disagree with you on Glo's food. They only do breakfast, and I think it's a notch above most places. Even their scrambled eggs are more delicious than anywhere else. I'd like to know how they do that! It's practically across the street from me and I've been there many times in the last 6 years. THAT SAID, if you don't go very early in the morning, you're out of luck. I think it's insane how long people will wait to eat there when yes, El Greco, is right up the street. I'm sure there are people who have a 3- to 4-hour breakfast experience at Glo's on Sunday.

El Greco has well-crafted, classy breakfasts. They don't believe in the giant farmer breakfast. You will be sated but not stuffed when you leave. The service is just okay, certainly not stellar, and always has been. They have very good coffee.

I am all about the toast at Glo's. I am kinda neutral on their egg dishes, I think that they are overcooked more often than not.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Hey there Seawakim! I went to the opening of Dinner and Dreams and -- like NSM of the last run -- thought the entertainment was worth every single penny (had I actually paid! I got to go as a guest thankfully).

It is a steep pricetag at about $100 a head (not including drinks, tip, parking, etc), but the entertainment just blew me off my seat (almost literally when the cat lady trapeze artist sat herself on my husband's lap and almost landed on me!)

Like Cirque, the performance is very much in the same vein of street performance. There are stilt walkers, contortionists and all the entertainers that make Cirque so fabulous. BUT the best part is that at Teatro, the performers are literally within an arm's reach. They perform throughout the dining area throughout the evening, dancing and singing and twirling around your table and on a small platform stage in the center of the dining tent and at the rear of the tent. Some of them even stop by your table and throw things at you (I got a pair of earplugs thrown at me, which I didn't have to use because it never got too loud).

I enjoyed Cirque (I saw Dralion in the summer), but what I didn't like about Cirque was just how impersonal it felt. I was one of a thousand sitting on a hard auditorium seat hundreds of feet away from the performers, who were on a tall platform stage. At Teatro, there is no removal between the audience and the performers. And that's what I really like.

As for the food at Teatro, well, it was good... possibly even great, but not stunning. I mean, I really liked it, but I thought the focus of the evening was really the entertainment and the food was almost secondary. I had salmon with beluga lentils in a red wine sauce and that was good. I remember not being blown away by the dessert -- and the appetizers were decent -- a trio of spreads and crusty bread and crackers to go with. The soup, a creamy asparagus, was very bright, though. A funny note about the food... I know they have changed the format of the show since I went when it opened, but at the performance I saw, there was a very funny couple who would play a song and do a dance to introduce the next course of the meal. It was funny... and a nice reminder that it really was an event revolving around food and entertainment.

All in all, I'd say it's worth the night and the money. Just make sure you go with someone who doesn't mind a very long night -- I think it lasted about 2 1/2-3 hours.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

My experience was very much like girl chow's. I enjoyed it immensely - even being part of the show and dancing with the beau. I heard recently that the menu has changed - not for the better in their opinion - some narly flank steak dish.

Seawakim, to add to your list: We went to Marco's Supperclub (Belltown) in December for hubby's birthday. It was our first time there and we will definitely go back. It's a small, somewhat dark place with good atmosphere. The food was all very well prepared, and we were very happy with our excellent waitress. I think I had Bistro Steak and Andrew had a venison special. I was excited about the Fried Sage Leaves appetizer, but they really don't taste like sage or much of anything else. I'd skip them. Here's a menu from Amazon's beta menu site:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...ant=TFCV#reader

Marco's Supperclub

2510 First Ave.

Seattle, WA 98121

206-441-7801

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.