• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I don't know what gai ma means

It is a very unusual expression even in in Chinese. I even asked one friend from Hunan if the expression was unique to Hunan and she asked me what it meant!

It refers to dishes served over rice or noodles. Those are not particularly common in Hunan, other than as fast food or in canteens.

The menu spiciness scale is something I've seen in British restaurants whether Chinese, Indian or Thai etc. I've never seen it in Asia though, that I recall. The chopped chillies are a Hunan thing. I'm never without a jar of 湖南剁辣椒 (hú nán duò là jiāo), Hunan chopped chilli from Changsha by my side. I'm not sure what cultivar of chilli they use, but I guess local but similar to Thai bird's eye.

duo lajiao.jpg

See here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

It is a very unusual expression even in in Chinese. I even asked one friend from Hunan if the epression was unique to Hunan and she asked me what it meant!

It refers to dishes served over rice or noodles. Those are not particularly common in Hunan, other than as fast food or in canteens.

The menu spiciness scale is something I've seen in British restaurants whether Chinese, Indian or Thai etc. I've never seen it in Asia though, that I recall. The chopped chillies are a Hunan thing. I'm never without a jar of 湖南剁辣椒 (hú nán duò là jiāo), Hunan chopped chilli from Changsha by my side. I'm not sure what cultivar of chilli they use, but I guess local but similar to Thai bird's eye.

duo lajiao.jpg

See here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

It is a very unusual expression even in in Chinese. It refers to dishes served over rice or noodles. Those are not particularly common in Hunan, other than as fast food or in canteens.

duo lajiao.jpg

See here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is an very unusual expression even in in Chinese. It refers to dishes served over rice or noodles. Those are not particularly common inHuna, otherthan as fast food or in canteens.

The menu spiciness scale is something I've seen in British restaurants whether Chinese,Indian or Thai etc. I've never seen it in Asia though, that I recall. The chopped chillies are a Hunan thing. I'm never without a jar of 湖南剁辣椒 (hú nán duò là jiāo), Hunan chopped chilli from Changsha by my side. I'm not sure what cultivar of chilli they use, but I guess local but similar to Thai bird's eye.

duo lajiao.jpg

See here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is an very unusual expression even in in Chinese. It refers to dishes served over rice or noodles. Those are not particularly common inHuna, otherthan as fast food or in canteens.

The menu spiciness scale is something I've seen in British restaurants whether Chinese,Indian or Thai etc. I've never seen it in Asia though, that I recall. The chopped chillies are a Huna thing. I'm never without a jar of 湖南剁辣椒 (hú nán duò là jiāo), Hunan chopped chilli from Changsha by my side. I'm not sure what cultivar of chilli they use, but I guess local but similar to Thai bird's eye.

duo lajiao.jpg

See here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

It is an very unusual expression even in in Chinese. It refers to dishes served over rice or noodles.

The menu spiciness scale is something I've seen in British restaurants whether Chinese,Indian or Thai etc. I've never seen it in Asia though, that I recall. The chopped chillies are a Huna thing. I'm never without a jar of 湖南剁辣椒 (hú nán duò là jiāo), Hunan chopped chilli from Changsha by my side. I'm not sure what cultivar of chilli they use, but I guess local but similar to Thai bird's eye.

duo lajiao.jpg

See here.