• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

We are leaving the capital Santa Cruz and moving on to the southern part of the island.
Santa Cruz (photo found online)
LfYKuJp.jpg

We are now in a village (population just a little over 200) in the mountain. It's a dizzying, steep ride to reach the village from the capital Santa Cruz. The village has one restaurant (not sure it's even open, and even then surely not for lunch) and no shop here so we need to take the first walk to the next town called Fuencaliente. All doubts about La Palma being the steepest island in the world are instantly vanished as soon as we start walking. The climb starts literally across the street from our lodging and it doesn't stop until we reach our destination. My favourite exercise in the gym in the stair machine and it's clear it's absolutely no match for this! I enjoy walking on inclines but this is just brutal.

Our base village, basking in Canarian sunny splendour.
Txsozbt.jpg

One will quickly notice the common/popular plants in people's gardens. One of them is these heavy flower heads, sweet smelling and thus attracting lots of bees.
jK4Ec8Q.jpg

QcDYGap.jpg

Fuencaliente is a small town, it has 2 supermarkets, 2 cafes and 2 pizzarias.
SdrVK1w.jpg

A roundabout is this tree in the middle of the intersection.
6DwNViW.jpg

Big bags of Palmeran chillies for making mojo rojo (not spicy kind) sold at a butcher's shop.
PjVXy22.jpg

One of the things we pick up is potatoes. For papas arrugadas you use this variety only. It's either half waxy or very waxy (at least in my experience). Most Canarian islands grow their own potatoes but Tenerife is the biggest producer and their potatoes are most commonly found in supermarkets.
mb8E4dx.jpg

1yhcUMz.jpg

We also make a quick visit to a local winery to pick up a few bottles. I get to taste a few wines, too.
EewYnp9.jpg

Malvasia is mainly produced in this southern part of the island. I also have a taste of the sweet wine (background, in the middle) but not sure if I want to buy it. Mayby KennethT would, though.

VzXQA8W.jpg

Want to buy this one but it's not possible. They harvested the grapes during the most recent volcanic eruption, enough to make about 1 thousands bottles, which were sold out quickly. This is the last bottle just for show.
9KSeUIh.jpg

Looks like a giant tin
mJzGLa7.jpg

Wineries here are small, nothing on a massive industrial scale like in some countries.

j0JHZKK.jpg

xw01ZIC.jpg

Lunch at a bar-cafe that also serves simple home-style (Canarian) dishes. For the first plate, I have "Bratwurst" in mind when I see "salchichas", but what's in front of me is actually something a lot like hot dog. (I don't recognise names or some dishes here, makes it a quite a bit harder to order). Anyhow, I try one piece just to make sure. Yep, it's hot dog. The partner has to eat it all.
Ij6ioGY.jpg

So now I know when it says "ensalada mixta" it's this. Lettuce, sweetcorn, pickled carrots and pickled beetroots. At least it's not doused in a mayo based dressing (I would not touch it in that case). Vinegar and olive oil on the side if needed.
UGu8AwP.jpg

Very nice braised beef. The meat shreds like threads, how we like it. The beef has a strong beefy smell. Beef at home they make sure it doesn't smell.
R2f3POk.jpg

Many people have citrus trees in the garden and they are full of fruit right now.
K0xtdxj.jpg

That's the bus stop steps from my lodging. Someone's little garden is next to it. I see a citrus tree, squash/pumpkin plants, peppers (capsicum) and other vegetables.
QJFblhE.jpg

On left with white walls is lodging owners' house (right across from my place). Very typical La Palma style.
VDOAstN.jpg

Mine is also Palmeran in style. It's small and cozy. We like it. The photos show you what a little house on La Palma looks like inside and out.
3EkP3cx.jpg

DXCYeAZ.jpg

oJ9EWDe.jpg

The kitchen looks OK but can't really cook anything other than simple 1-pot meals.
kazSx8Z.jpg

First wine from the winery a few kilometres from here that we visited earlier.
x0H2khf.jpg

I have 2 pots at my disposal, only 1 has a lid. You'll see something simple like this pasta with red sauce for the rest of my time here so don't have high expectations.
g6KgzzB.jpg

Golden hour pasta and a local wine. So that's my first home-cooked meal since I got here. How happy we are to be here on La Palma!
lpI6n0w.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

We are leaving the capital Santa Cruz and moving on to the southern part of the island.
LfYKuJp.jpg

We are now in a village (population just a little over 200) in the mountain. It's a dizzying, steep ride to reach the village from the capital Santa Cruz. The village has one restaurant (not sure it's even open, and even then surely not for lunch) and no shop here so we need to take the first walk to the next town called Fuencaliente. All doubts about La Palma being the steepest island in the world are instantly vanished as soon as we start walking. The climb starts literally across the street from our lodging and it doesn't stop until we reach our destination. My favourite exercise in the gym in the stair machine and it's clear it's absolutely no match for this! I enjoy walking on inclines but this is just brutal.

Our base, Los Quemados village, basking in Canarian sunny splendour.
Txsozbt.jpg

One will quickly notice the common/popular plants in people's gardens. One of them is these heavy flower heads, sweet smelling and thus attracting lots of bees.
jK4Ec8Q.jpg

QcDYGap.jpg

SdrVK1w.jpg

6DwNViW.jpg

Big bags of Palmerian chillies for making mojo rojo (not spicy kind) sold at a butcher's shop.
PjVXy22.jpg

One of the things we pick up is potatoes. For papas arrugadas you use this variety only. It's either half waxy or very waxy (at least in my experience). Most Canarian islands grow their own potatoes but Tenerife is the biggest producer and their potatoes are most commonly found in supermarkets.
mb8E4dx.jpg

1yhcUMz.jpg

We also make a quick visit to a local winery to pick up a few bottles. I get to taste a few wines, too.
EewYnp9.jpg

Malvasia is mainly produced in this southern part of the island. I also have a taste of the sweet wine (background, in the middle) but not sure if I want to buy it. Mayby KennethT would, though.

VzXQA8W.jpg

Want to buy this one but it's not possible. They harvested the grapes during the most recent volcanic eruption, enough to make about 1 thousands bottles, which were sold out quickly. This is the last bottle just for show.
9KSeUIh.jpg

Looks like a giant tin
mJzGLa7.jpg

Wineries here are small, nothing on a massive industrial scale like in some countries.

j0JHZKK.jpg

xw01ZIC.jpg

Lunch at a bar-cafe that also serves simple home-style (Canarian) dishes. For the first plate, I have "Bratwurst" in mind when I see "salchichas", but what's in front of me is actually something a lot like hot dog. (I don't recognise names or some dishes here, makes it a quite a bit harder to order). Anyhow, I try one piece just to make sure. Yep, it's hot dog. The partner has to eat it all.
Ij6ioGY.jpg

So now I know when it says "ensalada mixta" it's this. Lettuce, sweetcorn, pickled carrots and pickled beetroots. At least it's not doused in a mayo based dressing (I would not touch it in that case). Vinegar and olive oil on the side if needed.
UGu8AwP.jpg

Very nice braised beef. The meat shreds like threads, how we like it. The beef has a strong beefy smell. Beef at home they make sure it doesn't smell.
R2f3POk.jpg

Many people have citrus trees in the garden and they are full of fruit right now.
K0xtdxj.jpg

That's the bus stop steps from my lodging. Someone's little garden is next to it. I see a citrus tree, squash/pumpkin plants, peppers (capsicum) and other vegetables.
QJFblhE.jpg

On left with white walls is lodging owners' house (right across from my place). Very typical La Palma style.
VDOAstN.jpg

Mine is also Palmerian in style. It's small and cozy. We like it. The photos show you what a little house on La Palma looks like inside and out.
3EkP3cx.jpg

DXCYeAZ.jpg

oJ9EWDe.jpg

The kitchen looks OK but can't really cook anything other than simple 1-pot meals.
kazSx8Z.jpg

x0H2khf.jpg

I have 2 pots at my disposal, only 1 has a lid. You'll see something simple like this pasta with red sauce for the rest of my time here so don't have high expectations.
g6KgzzB.jpg

Golden hour pasta and a local wine. So that's my first home-cooked meal since I got here. How happy we are to be here on La Palma!
lpI6n0w.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

LfYKuJp.jpg

We are now in a village (population just a little over 200) in the mountain. It's a dizzying, steep ride to reach the village from the capital Santa Cruz. The village has one restaurant (opens in high season, which is not now) and no shop here so we need to take the first walk to the next town called Fuencaliente. All doubts about La Palma being the steepest island in the world are instantly vanished as soon as we start walking. The climb starts literally across the street from our lodging and it doesn't stop until we reach our destination. My favourite exercise in the gym in the stair machine and it's clear it's absolutely no match for this! I enjoy walking on inclines but this is just brutal.

Txsozbt.jpg

jK4Ec8Q.jpg

QcDYGap.jpg

SdrVK1w.jpg

6DwNViW.jpg

Big bags of Palmerian chillies for making mojo rojo (not spicy kind) sold at a butcher's shop.
PjVXy22.jpg

mb8E4dx.jpg

1yhcUMz.jpg

EewYnp9.jpg

VzXQA8W.jpg

9KSeUIh.jpg

Looks like a giant tin
mJzGLa7.jpg

j0JHZKK.jpg

xw01ZIC.jpg

Ij6ioGY.jpg

UGu8AwP.jpg

R2f3POk.jpg

K0xtdxj.jpg

QJFblhE.jpg

VDOAstN.jpg

Mine is also Palmerian in style. It's small and cozy. We like it. The photos show you what a little house on La Palma looks like inside and out.
3EkP3cx.jpg

DXCYeAZ.jpg

oJ9EWDe.jpg

kazSx8Z.jpg

x0H2khf.jpg

g6KgzzB.jpg

lpI6n0w.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

LfYKuJp.jpg

We are now in a village (population just a little over 200) in the mountain. It's a dizzying, steep ride to the village. There's one restaurant (opens in high season) and no shop here so we need to take the first walk to the next town called Fuencaliente. All doubts about La Palma being the steepest island in the world are instantly vanished as soon as we start walking. The climb starts literally across the street from our lodging and it doesn't stop until we reach our destination. My favourite exercise in the gym in the stair machine and it's clear it's absolutely no match for this! I enjoy walking on inclines but this is just brutal.

Txsozbt.jpg

jK4Ec8Q.jpg

QcDYGap.jpg

SdrVK1w.jpg

6DwNViW.jpg

PjVXy22.jpg

mb8E4dx.jpg

1yhcUMz.jpg

EewYnp9.jpg

VzXQA8W.jpg

9KSeUIh.jpg

Looks like a giant tin
mJzGLa7.jpg

j0JHZKK.jpg

xw01ZIC.jpg

Ij6ioGY.jpg

UGu8AwP.jpg

R2f3POk.jpg

K0xtdxj.jpg

QJFblhE.jpg

VDOAstN.jpg

3EkP3cx.jpg

DXCYeAZ.jpg

oJ9EWDe.jpg

kazSx8Z.jpg

x0H2khf.jpg

g6KgzzB.jpg

lpI6n0w.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

LfYKuJp.jpg

We are now in a village (population just a little over 200) in the mountain. It's a dizzying, steep ride to the village. There's one restaurant (opens in high season) and no shop here so we need to take the first walk to the next town called Fuencaliente. All doubts about La Palma being the steepest island in the world are instantly vanished as soon as we start walking. The climb starts literally across the street from our lodging and it doesn't stop until we reach our destination. My favourite exercise in the gym in the stair machine and it's clear it's absolutely no match for this! I enjoy walking on inclines but this is just brutal.

Txsozbt.jpg

jK4Ec8Q.jpg

QcDYGap.jpg

SdrVK1w.jpg

6DwNViW.jpg

PjVXy22.jpg

mb8E4dx.jpg

1yhcUMz.jpg

EewYnp9.jpg

VzXQA8W.jpg

9KSeUIh.jpg

Looks like a giant tin
mJzGLa7.jpg

Wineries here are small, nothing massively industrial like in some countries.

j0JHZKK.jpg

xw01ZIC.jpg

Ij6ioGY.jpg

UGu8AwP.jpg

R2f3POk.jpg

K0xtdxj.jpg

QJFblhE.jpg

VDOAstN.jpg

3EkP3cx.jpg

DXCYeAZ.jpg

oJ9EWDe.jpg

kazSx8Z.jpg

x0H2khf.jpg

g6KgzzB.jpg

lpI6n0w.jpg