• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Back to the market because I need more cheese and fruits. I notice many cheeses are lightly smoked, also the young kind. Cheeses produced on other Canary Islands are common on La Palma, especially from Gran Canaria, and some from Lanzarote that I recognise.
oneGgHg.jpg

DXt7BbW.jpg

N46rj22.jpg

Good looking island grown beans
pfHVuG6.jpg

P9Koatb.jpg

EWiEtCD.jpg

oPNCPQw.jpg

YXSVUxY.jpg

New potatoes (La Palma grown). There are specks of rosé on the peel.
L4fNDcj.jpg

Winter tomatoes
e9cCjIQ.jpg

A tight passage to some houses. The front doors are half the size of our doors at home. A few hundred years ago many things were small, people included.
YpAVfNg.jpg

Stones on a footpath are meticulously arranged in a certain pattern.
4Ldratb.jpg

I'm glad I have no one to think sweetly of.
7vR30Zn.jpg

One of many typical steep streets in the capital.
ni3WIW5.jpg

The best beach is an empty one.
nBO3gtp.jpg

Every morning I eat half a papaya and 1 big avocado (plus other things). Then another avocado sometime in the afternoon. This island produces a few fruits such as papaya, avocado, banana (most important), mango, guava, citrus, loquat, fig, prickly pear, apples, pear, cherry and many more!). But let me tell you about the avocados grown on this island... it's literally like eating a block of butter. So creamy, so dense, so rich you need to take a pause half way. On par with high quality Mexican avocados that I enjoy eating so much there. Also, islanders want you to know they eat lots of avocados, long before the hipsters. Chileans told me the same. They even put avocado in fast food in Chile. I'm taking some La Palma avocados home. Originally I had planned to bring goat cheeses back but now also avocados.
UT61Xog.jpg

2 new goat's cheeses. Left is strong and hard, right is rich and creamy (firm).
Ql6vsLb.jpg

The middle sardine is huge. All 3 have roe.
UQF5BNl.jpg

IQybtZl.jpg

Another golden ale, from island's own craft brewery La Isla Verde.
S3VUlNi.jpg

This other island craft brewery hardly says anything about their beer. Very little information is provided, even on their website.
4RHdbZE.jpg

The last beer and in the background are all the beers we drink thus far.
roR9mrH.jpg

Moving on to a small village in the mountain in the south of the island the next day.

BonVivant

BonVivant

Back to the market because I need more cheese and fruits. I notice many cheeses are lightly smoked, also the young kind. Cheeses produced on other Canary Islands are common on La Palma, especially from Gran Canaria, and some from Lanzarote that I recognise.
oneGgHg.jpg

DXt7BbW.jpg

N46rj22.jpg

Good looking island grown beans
pfHVuG6.jpg

P9Koatb.jpg

EWiEtCD.jpg

oPNCPQw.jpg

YXSVUxY.jpg

New potatoes (La Palma grown). There are specks of rosé on the peel.
L4fNDcj.jpg

Winter tomatoes
e9cCjIQ.jpg

A tight passage to some houses. The front doors are half the size of our doors at home. A few hundred years ago many things were small, people included.
YpAVfNg.jpg

Stones on a footpath are meticulously arranged in a certain pattern.
4Ldratb.jpg

I'm glad I have no one to think sweetly of.
7vR30Zn.jpg

One of many typical steep streets in the capital.
ni3WIW5.jpg

The best beach is an empty one.
nBO3gtp.jpg

Every morning I eat half a papaya and 1 big avocado (plus other things). Then another avocado sometime in the afternoon. This island produces a few fruits such as papaya, avocado, banana (most important), mango, guava, citrus, loquat, fig, prickly pear, apples, pear, cherry and many more!). But let me tell you about the avocados grown on this island... it's literally like eating a block of butter. So creamy, so dense, so rich you need to take a pause half way. On par with high quality Mexican avocados that I enjoy eating so much there. Also, islanders want you to know they eat lots of avocados, long before the hipsters. Chileans told me the same. They even put avocado in fast food in Chile. I'm taking some La Palma avocados home. Originally I had planned to bring goat cheeses back but now also avocados.
UT61Xog.jpg

2 new goat's cheeses. Left is strong and hard, right is rich and creamy (firm).
Ql6vsLb.jpg

The middle sardine is huge. All 3 have roe.
UQF5BNl.jpg

IQybtZl.jpg

Another golden ale, from island's own craft brewery La Isla Verde.
S3VUlNi.jpg

This other island craft brewery hardly says anything about their beer. Very little information is provided, even on their website.
4RHdbZE.jpg

The last beer and in the background are all the beers we drink thus far.
roR9mrH.jpg

Moving on to a small village in the mountain in the south of the island the next day.