• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rum from 1967

ctgm

I am quite desperate to find a bottle of rum distilled in 1967, ie it HAS to state 1967 on the label. It does not matter how old the spirit is.

Can anyone help me on this one as I have no idea where to find one?

ctgm......Thats an interesting problem...... "1967 distilled date printed on the lable"..... have you come up with anything as yet.

I can see by your other posts that you are in the business and have various contacts around England. I was going to suggest Cadenheads, but I dont think they have anything going back 45 years , Neither will Gordon & Mac Phail.or Bristol Spirits. or Lambs (Except for their 1939 or 1949). So unless you are in contact with a more select bottler (which is what you are asking for afterall) I think your rum search will continue. But then maybe United Rum Merchants has something through a private bottler.

Then there are the European brands and bottlers. In London you must have contact with French Agents and Importers. Because there is a chance that there is a Martinique Vintage Rum distilled in 1967. Bottled some years later. I would suggest you look into J.BALLY RHUM VIEUX 45% 70cl. This rum has been marketed, as far as I can see as far back as 1924 (and still available - at a price). Their Marketing has many years of 'Vintages' available of which 1967 might just have been one of them. This is information that only the French Import Agent (To France from Martinique) could tell you and dont believe it when some one says that only a few years are available, demand a full list because a general list might only be for bottles that could fill a case.Not that individual bottle sitting on that dusty cellar shelf in France.

I would also like to point out what Ed Hamilton points out in his books, that J Bally has never clarified what the matured age of their rum (before bottling) is in their many vintages. So although you might find a 'Vintage 1967 Distilled Rum' it might have only matured six years prior to bottling. then stored on a dusty shelf for forty five years.

I would like to see if any of our European Importers and Master Rum Blenders, that read this Forum, have any suggestions of other rums in Europe of this age, for you.

Good luck with the hunt and when you do find your 1967 enjoy the celebration, and let us know how the search concluded .

Rum Searching again.

John Reekie

CTGM.......... J.Bally 1966. $60.00 USD. Duty free in St Martin FWI. (1960 -$65. / 1970 -$45.)

Its not what you were looking for but very close, and close only counts in tossing horseshoes. I knew that different shops/dealers/agents were offering different vintage years of J Bally Rhums. So I spent some time looking up various web sites. Did not get as far as finding the British of French Agents or Adresses, but came across this Duty freeshop in St Martin. French West Indies.

What this shows is that direct contact with the sourse is usualy fruitfull and usually rewarding.

I think you are in a better location (rather than I am in Canada) to find the sourse and "That one bottle on a dusty cellar shelf in France".

Sounds like a booktitle and a BBC 2 upcoming feature. Good hunting & keep us informed.

"The Rhum Search is on Dr Watson" ....unquote.

John Reekie.

That web site was > www.finelifedutyfree.com/rum/rums.html

Thanks for all the info. The age of the rum really doesn't matter as I think that it was probably someone's birth year

Cadenheads et al don't have anything.

Lamb's 1939 - just about to buy a bottle for the same client

Bally - can get the 1929 and after that it is up to 1979 (I think).

As yet no joy at all for the 1967 although I think that Martinique might be the best bet. Someone like Trois Rivieres.

Not holding out any hope but will let you know if I find anything!

CTGM ! ..... 67 ..67..67.. What is it about this year? well thats not the real question . Is there a rum distilled in that year thats available.

So here in frozen Canada, looking for you in London, for a client from a Pacific Rim Country. I dont think we have come up with anything,as yet...... BUT ! Can it be a different spirit, as there is a Scotch for sale that was distilled in 1967.

I went to a scotch whisky forum and found under "whiskies for sale" a.... DEANSTON 1967... from someones private collection that he wants to sell.

So go to..... www.scotchwhisky.net

And explore there for a 1967. Maybe a scotch would be suitable for your clients.

There is also someone looking for a STRATHISLA 1967 on that forum.

Always rumsearching.... (now scotchsearching).

john

1967 and a rum - why? That's a good question and one I can't answer.

Very easy for me to find whisky, cognac and armagnac but it has to be rum!!

To be honest I think I am going to give up looking as it is more trouble than it is worth.

CTGM.... There must be quite a story behind the RHUM SAINT JAMES 1967, that you finaly found. We would be interested in how you managed to track it down.and where its been residing all this time. I hope the use of the forum brought it to you and that our fellowship of RUMMERS helped in some way in your tracing the elusive 1967.

John,

The story.

I was trying to do a deal with one of my rum suppliers and i asked whether they had any 1967. They said no but were going to Martinique and that they would look. They found this bottle in a rum museum and snapped it up. However as it is over $300 a bottle my customer hasn't said yes to it yet!! To be honest don't really blame him as I wouldn't spend that much on a bottle!

Charlie