• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Re: ginger tea - do you just cut off say a 1/2" piece of fresh ginger and steep it in a mug of hot water?  I've been having stomach issues and I would like to try it.  The usual Western remedies don't seem to want to work.

Most people seem to prepare it similarly to how @KennethT suggests. Personally, I slice about a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger and simmer it in water for about 5 - 10 minutes then strain it through a tea strainer. I don't sugar it, but occasionally use a little honey. Sweeten to taste, I suppose. I am not particularly sweet-toothed.

I could buy commercially prepared ginger tea powder as many people do and use that, but prefer to use fresh, non-industrial ingredients. Also, before I retired, I regularly carried some home-made crystalised ginger to chew on before lecturing. It seems to me ginger in any form helps with any dyspeptic symptoms. Failing that dried ginger flakes are widely available here.

CrystallisedGinger1.thumb.jpg.125298ce77d7df5f1b49c2a8925585e3.jpg

Home-made Crystalised Ginger

liuzhou

liuzhou

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Re: ginger tea - do you just cut off say a 1/2" piece of fresh ginger and steep it in a mug of hot water?  I've been having stomach issues and I would like to try it.  The usual Western remedies don't seem to want to work.

Most people seem to prepare it similarly to how @KennethT suggests. Personally, I slice about a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger and simmer it in water for about 5 - 10 minutes then strain it through a tea strainer. I don't sugar it, but occasionally use a little honey. Sweeten to taste, I suppose. I am not particularly sweet-toothed.

I could buy commercially prepared ginger tea powder as many people do and use that, but prefer to use fresh, non-industrial ingredients. Also, before I retired, I regularly carried some home-made crystalised ginger to chew on before lecturing. It seems to me ginger in any form helps with any dyspeptic symptoms.

CrystallisedGinger1.thumb.jpg.125298ce77d7df5f1b49c2a8925585e3.jpg

Home-made Crystalised Ginger