• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Cappricio in Whippany

MetsFan5

A few weeks ago, my parents and I celebrated my father’s 75th birthday at Il Cappricio. 

The interior and the service were very reminiscent of The Manor’s ala carte dining room (rip). Hand painted ceiling, live piano player, tableside service. 

I started with the tableside Caesar salad— I miss this old tradition of having a Caesar salad made tableside. It was perfect. I had a few bits of my father’s beef carpaccio, which was a special and also very good. My mom had a special salad which she enjoyed. 

The bread service comes with butter but also pickled vegetables such as peppers and cauliflower and olives and mushrooms. Had a kick to it, but was a nice touch. 

I had the Dover Sole special in brown butter. It was amazing and also deboned tableside. My parents both had the “Scringo di Mare” which was semi shelled lobster, jumbo scallops, wild shrimp and seasonal mushrooms in a brandy cream sauce with Salsa Americain. They both finished it— I sampled the sauce and it was delicious. 

We concluded the meal with coffee (Irish for me), cannoli which was delicious and unique as the shell was a lacy deep fried crispy and sugary shell. 

Despite the dress code that prefers gentlemen in jackets, they permit neat jeans and while we were a bit dressed up, others were not. 

I didn’t pay the bill (I tried) so I can only say this is a fairly costly restaurant. 

They offered valet services, the bathrooms were clean and the service was excellent. Some of the best in a long time. 

They also have an incredible wine list, but as I was the only one drinking wine I passed on looking at it. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how great the meal was. Highly recommend. 

Edited by MetsFan5
To include the website (log)
  • Like 8

So The Manor is no more?

Not many white tablecloth joints anymore.  A shame.I don't think there is one left in Philadelphia.  Perhaps the Union League, but its private.

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

So The Manor is no more?

Not many white tablecloth joints anymore.  A shame.I don't think there is one left in Philadelphia.  Perhaps the Union League, but it’s private.

Unfortunately no. They ceased all dining during Covid and never reopened them and sold the business. I don’t know who bought it or what future plans are. Kinda sad. I used to work for them and the Highlawn Pavillion, which has also since been sold. 

• Sad 1

I remember, when this place opened 36 years ago, that there was a LOT of buzz surrounding it. After a handful of years, I stopped hearing about it.  I drive past it on my way to Costco and Aldi, and I occasionally wonder if it had maintained it's excellence. It sounds like it has.  Great write up.

• Thanks 1