• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 10/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, haresfur said:

I just learned another drink order in Singapore, termed yuanyang by the SG people posting on line, which is a mixture of kopi and teh, so coffee, tea, condensed milk and sugar. I'm sceptical but I'd try it. It apparently originated in Hong Kong (according to Wikipedia - yeah, I know, it's the best information I could find), who have an entry for Yuenyeung, 鴛鴦.

The person online was complaining that it cost 10-20 cents more.

鴛鴦 is the Hong Kong orthography. In Chinese as used in Mainland China and Singapore, it is 鸳鸯 (yuān yāng) which actually means Mandarin duck (Aix galericulata), which always hang around in pairs. This has led to almost anything usually in pairs being given the epithet. More common than tea/coffee mixes are the double pans used for Chongqing / Sichuan hot pots, known as 鸳鸯锅 (yuān yang guō), Mandarin duck pots..

yuang-yang.thumb.jpg.a4cfea42339db54acf2090fef4ac8d12.jpg

I've seen the tea/coffee abomination here, but never indulged. I have standards. Low standards, but not that low. 🙄

liuzhou

liuzhou

I just learned another drink order in Singapore, termed yuanyang by the SG people posting on line, which is a mixture of kopi and teh, so coffee, tea, condensed milk and sugar. I'm sceptical but I'd try it. It apparently originated in Hong Kong (according to Wikipedia - yeah, I know, it's the best information I could find), who have an entry for Yuenyeung, 鴛鴦.

鴛鴦 is the Hong Kong orthography. In Chinese as used in Mainland China and Singapore, it is 鸳鸯 (yuān yāng) which actually means Mandarin duck (Aix galericulata), which always hang around in pairs. This has led to almost anything usually in pairs being given the epithet. More common than tea/coffee mixes are the double pans used for Chongqing / Sichuan hot pots.

I've seen the tea/coffee abomination here, but never indulgd. I have standards. Low standards, but not that low. 🙄

liuzhou

liuzhou

鴛鴦 is the Hong Kong orthography. In Chinese as used in Mainland China and Singapore, it is 鸳鸯 (yuān yāng) which actually means Mandarin duck (Aix galericulata), which always hang around in pairs. This has led to almost anything usually in pairs being given the epithet. More common than tea/coffee mixes are the double pans used for Chongqing / Sichuan hot pots.