• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

A

20 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My takeaway from the above is "Please help me rationalize Option #4!" You're in the right place for that, there's quite an accomplished crew of enablers hereabouts. :P

I haven't been in your shoes yet, though there's a kitchen upgrade in our not too distant future. Personally I'd have a concern about taking out that small 12-inch "mostly dead" space (to quote The Princess Bride, "there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead"). I've lost one of those little 12-inch beside-the-range cupboards in a rental (it basically fell apart, and the landlord took it out without replacing it), and I missed it more than I'd anticipated. YMMV, and of course the extra burner and 6 inches of stovetop may be worth it in your case. Similarly, because it's not yet certain that this is your "forever home," losing storage space in the short term could narrow your pool of potential buyers should you opt to sell. The stove would compensate for that with some buyers, but to a lot of them it might also smack of that cliche about the low-value used car with the $10,000 stereo inside.

I'm not saying those things necessarily matter to you, just spitballing here.

Agree. That 12 inches is helpful as the countertop holds my tool containers,  and the cabinets hold my spices, handtowels/hotpads, and various other crap. And, I'd be concerned about that heat so close to the wall, not to mention it would be a fair amount of rework (new venting, likely having to move an outlet). And, a 36 inch range in a tiny kitchen would just look odd.

If it died at the time of renovation (or right before) I'd have no problems making do (and splurging for the 36"...I'm with you GF). But I suspect it could be years before I renovate, if at all. Around here, high end ranges are not common (I'm in a midsized city) so even a $5k range would probably cause people to go huh? Particularly if I don't renovate.

For those of you with a Bluestar 30" do you ever feel like your pans are 'crowded'?  Anything else you don't like (save the issues with the early versions of the range)?

Really, the only downside (of getting the 30" now) is the risk of 'losing' $2-3k down the road if/when I sell to make room for the 36" during a potential future reno.

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

A

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My takeaway from the above is "Please help me rationalize Option #4!" You're in the right place for that, there's quite an accomplished crew of enablers hereabouts. :P

I haven't been in your shoes yet, though there's a kitchen upgrade in our not too distant future. Personally I'd have a concern about taking out that small 12-inch "mostly dead" space (to quote The Princess Bride, "there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead"). I've lost one of those little 12-inch beside-the-range cupboards in a rental (it basically fell apart, and the landlord took it out without replacing it), and I missed it more than I'd anticipated. YMMV, and of course the extra burner and 6 inches of stovetop may be worth it in your case. Similarly, because it's not yet certain that this is your "forever home," losing storage space in the short term could narrow your pool of potential buyers should you opt to sell. The stove would compensate for that with some buyers, but to a lot of them it might also smack of that cliche about the low-value used car with the $10,000 stereo inside.

I'm not saying those things necessarily matter to you, just spitballing here.

Agree. That 12 inches is helpful as the countertop holds my tool containers,  and the cabinets hold my spices, handtowels/hotpads, and various other crap. And, I'd be concerned about that heat so close to the wall, not to mention it would be a fair amount of rework (new venting, likely having to move an outlet). And, a 36 inch range in a tiny kitchen would just look odd.

If it died at the time of renovation (or right before) I'd have no problems making do (and splurging for the 36"...I'm with you GF). But I suspect it could be years before I renovate, if at all. Around here, high end ranges are not common (I'm in a midsized city) so even a $5k range would probably cause people to go huh? Particularly if I don't renovate.

For those of you with a Bluestar 30" do you ever feel like your pans are 'crowded'?  Anything else you don't like (save the issues with the early versions of the range)?