• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Evening meal

兰州拉面 (lán zhōu lā miàn).

Lanzhou is the capital of Gansu Province in NW China and la mian is hand pulled noodles (and the forerunner of Japanese ramen). La mian is now available all over China, but Lanzhou is still considered the best. 

I ordered this from a small restaurant I know well, owned and staffed by a Lanzhou family. The noodles are hand pulled to order, providing a bit of theatre with your meal. Of course, I didn't get that this time.

The Gansu population has a high percentage Muslim population, so pork is not on the menu.

Ingredients are the noodles, beef, chilli flakes, chilli oil, chopped coriander leaf/cilantro, ginger, garlic. The dry ingredients were delivered in the eating dish and the beef broth came separately in an insulated bag to be applied at home.

And jolly good it was  - as always.

1324655944_lanzhoulamian2.thumb.jpg.c6b5a00d96d36f98a1f4d062c8fce212.jpg

95162649_lanzhoulamian.thumb.jpg.184b4e3818cccf92ec32b306f6383277.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Evening meal

兰州拉面 (lán zhōu lā miàn).

Lanzhou is the capital of Gansu Province in NW China and la mian is hand pulled noodles (and the forerunner of Japanese ramen). La mian is now available all over China, but Lanzhou is still considered the best. 

I ordered this from a small restaurant I know well, owned and staffed by a Lanzhou family. The noodles are hand pulled to order, providing a bit of theatre with your meal. Of course, I didn't get that this time.

The Gansu population has a high percentage Muslim population, so pork is not on the menu.

Ingredients are the noodles, beef, chilli oil, chopped coriander leaf/cilantro, ginger, garlic. The dry ingredients were delivered in the eating dish and the beef broth came separately in an insulated bag to be applied at home.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Evening meal

兰州拉面 (lán zhōu lā miàn.

Lanzhou is the capital of Gansu Province in NW China and la mian is hand pulled noodles (and the forerunner of Japanese ramen. La mian is now availableall over China, but Lanzhou is still considered the best. 

I ordered this from a small restaurant I know well, owned and stafffed by a Lanzhou family. The noodles are hand pulled to order, providing a bit of theatre with your meal. Of course, I didn't get that this time.

The population has a high percentage Muslim population, so pork is not on the menu.

Ingredients are the noodles, beef, chilli oil, chopped coriander leaf/cilantro, ginger, garlic. The dry ingredients were delivered in the eating dish and the beef broth came separately in an insulated bag to be applied at home.