• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Rickbern

Rickbern

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

I was gifted with an ulu several years ago by my then-sister in law, but sadly it's a souvenir-shop item and rather less sharp than your average butter knife.

If you happen to have say a 9” wood bowl laying around brown an onion, sauté some chicken livers pretty delicately, braise them in a little port,  add some capers and put the results in the wooden bowl. Hand chop this with your souvenir uluu. Best reason I’ve found to keep one around. Oh, and they’re pretty easy to sharpen 

470D6B69-3436-471A-BAFD-8CFE3511574B.jpeg

Rickbern

Rickbern

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

I was gifted with an ulu several years ago by my then-sister in law, but sadly it's a souvenir-shop item and rather less sharp than your average butter knife.

If you happen to have say a 9” wood bowl laying around brown an onion, sauté some chicken livers pretty delicately, braise them in a little port,  add some capers and put the results in the wooden bowl. Hand chop this with your souvenir uluu. Best reason I’ve found to keep one around 

470D6B69-3436-471A-BAFD-8CFE3511574B.jpeg